Author Topic: Advice on hickroy  (Read 2691 times)

Offline NTProf

Advice on hickroy
« on: December 16, 2011, 08:06:10 pm »
Hi everyone,

This weekend I hope to pick up some hickory boards to make a bow or two. I want something in the #50 range to hunt with. Any suggestions for an efficient design? Thinking of some kind of pyramid design; but I am open to suggestions. I have never built one from hickory.   Dave

Offline RyanY

Re: Advice on hickroy
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 09:31:11 pm »
If I had to make a hickory pyramid bow for hunting I'd go with a 64" bow with 8" handle and fades. 2.5" at the fades tapering to 1/2", 6" from the tips which then taper to 1/4" nocks. The extra width near the handle will allow for good circular tiller without taking much set and the narrow tips will keep mass low. Heat treating is good on hickory as well. That's what I would go with.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 10:47:50 pm »
Some type of hickory flatbow, it shouldn't need to be over 64" if your draw isn't over 28".
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 07:22:00 pm »
I don't know anything about Pyramid bows.
But 1 3/4" is plenty of hickory for a 50lb bow
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 09:16:39 pm »
66"ntn 1" 3/4" at the fades, four inch handle with two inch fades, straight taper to half inch tips, I cut out my pyramid bows on a tablesaw, mark the start of the blade on the table and you can cut up to the end of the fades then finish on a bandsaw, make the limb thickness 1/2" and tiller from there, once it's cut out and the edges rounded it's floor tillered and probablly ready for a low brace, lease that's how i do it, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline NTProf

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 02:27:35 am »
Thanks everyone. THis has been really helpful.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 09:52:11 am »
Not sure on a board bow but I have built a bunch of Hickory stave bow and what buddy said should work fine,even a little narrower at the fads works fine for me.
1 5/8 or so. I would think a board would be about the same.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 10:07:31 am »
  I'm like pappy never built any board bows. Hickorys my favoret wood. I build my bows 60" to 64"s. 1 1/2 up tp 55 1 3/4's for anything over 60#'s 1 5/8 for inbetween. I never back my bows and cut a shelf to center shot.
  Since there no ring to chase a board bow will work good with hickory.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 05:35:52 pm »
Not much experience with hickory here, only 3 bows from the wood so far, but my one piece of advice is to stay away from heartwood. I had a couple of boards with a mix of heartwood and sapwood. The heartwood seems very brittle.
I don't know if anyone else has experienced this so take my advice for what it's worth  ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 06:27:35 pm »
I'd have to agree with Matt S, I've had bad luck wth hickory heartwood. It is brittle, and almost crumbles in spots.

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 07:11:25 pm »
Umm interesting i've backed a few ipe and greenheart elb's with hickory heartwood and had no problems at all. I've tested it and it turns out a little denser than sapwood from the same board.
As for design personally i'd go for a holmguaard replica. Sort of a modified pyramid. Heat treat and trap the back - a lot :o