Author Topic: Hog hunting PICS added  (Read 9493 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Hog hunting PICS added
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2011, 12:08:22 pm »
Thanks Jimbob.  It was rather exciting when that thing came in to a caller.  Where did you go to high school. 

It was George.  Me either.  Too bad I really didn't know what a trophy it was.  No problem.  It is really wet out there.  That would be great.  I am off until Jan 1 starting today so I sure wouldn't mind coming up to help you out there :laugh:

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 09:20:09 pm »
Saaaaaaweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!  Dude, I'm glad & sad we don't have enough Hogs up here in MI to hunt...

I hope you saved the skulls and leg bones Brother~  Those are cool!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 10:56:34 pm »
I went to La Marque High.  Home of the cougars.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2011, 11:14:20 pm »
Nice hog and congrats! Your son looks very happy for ya! ;D I am supprised to hear they arent any good eating :-\ I would think allot would play into the tast of the meat, just the first time I heard you dont want to eat them and that they stink that bad(the meat) You said he was eating corn? I would think corn fed hog wouldnt be bad but Ill take your word for it lol. I also have heard they are becoming a real problem in your area and others. NICE JOB! And thanks for sharing!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 11:30:49 pm »
Nice shootin! Those are some fat bastards for sure!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2011, 01:48:01 am »
Josh, they all don't stink, the vast majority do not.  Also, there's no way a pig at a feeder can get enough corn to make it a staple in their diet.  There's never just one pig.  The bulk of their diet is gonna be a local food source.  Cipriano has had the good fortune to shoot 2 huge, old boar.  When you want to eat a pig, you shoot a smaller one.  My favorite are about 125lbs, but I've eaten them up to about 250lbs. 

Not only that, people can mistake the smell on the outside of a pig for how the meat will taste.  My wife grew up on a hog farm, believe me when I say that they can be the worst smelling animal on the planet.  The last big boar we got stunk pretty bad on the outside, but once his hide was off, he was fine.   I'm too stingy to assume they're gonna taste bad until I get to actually smell the meat.  So far mine have all been  good.  I have a friend that runs night vision hunts down by Houston.  His clients kill hundreds of hogs a year and the last time this came up on the hog forum he said he'd never had a bad one.  Hunted hard like that, the average size of the pigs are gonna be a little smaller.  Just like with deer it's crucial to get the animal gutted and cooled ASAP.  He's also anal about washing them off before field dressing them.  There might be something to that as well.   Also it is much more important with boar to not cut into the private area.  The bacteria that live around a boar's you know what are nasty.  One of the guys took some of that stenchy stuff to a scientist to try and see if it could be reproduced and sold as a lure.  They told him it was a biohazard. :o

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Keenan

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2011, 01:51:41 am »
Very nice hog Cipriano, Congratulations