Author Topic: BL and Cold  (Read 1861 times)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
BL and Cold
« on: December 13, 2011, 08:07:04 pm »
I have found that black locust  seems to snap in cold temperatures? Bows that were seemingly well tillered, and shoot well in warm temp. have expolded in the cold weather. Has anyone else found this.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: BL and Cold
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 08:17:17 pm »
Could they have dried out too much? This time of year is a lot dryer than in warmer weather.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sonny

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 08:43:17 pm »
very good point Pat!
the humidity meter that I keep over the thermostat is reading in the 29% range right now.
makes me leery of stringing up any of my wood bows.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 01:08:55 am »
Never had a problem with cold on BL. I let the bow sit in the cold for 5 or so mins before shooting. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 02:25:30 am »
I really think it has nothing to do with temp outside. The way we heat our houses in the wintertime will suck moisture out of wood till it is brittle. It took me years to figure this out. I used to snap bows in the wintertime. I thought it was due to the fact that my heart belonged to skiing and the mountains and my bow making was half assed for this season. Maybe, but also the floor vent heat in my house would keep humidity at about 20%. At that wood will loose so much moisture it will not bend safely.
 Simple fix: Get a humidity meter and a cheap humidifier. With those two things keep all your staves and pre treated bows in a room with these two things, with humidity at about 50%.

Offline druid

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 11:30:24 am »
Last winter I set my 125# bl bow for 45 minutes in snow, braced. After that I immediately pulled it 2" further than normal full draw (tillered to 29" and I draw it to 31") about dozen times- nothing happened. Maybe winter has something awith moisture in wood, my bow was well sealed.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 01:35:49 pm »
ok, now you guys are making me worry(i tend to do that...)
should i get all my bows outta the house and into the shed or garage where there is no furnace?
thinking they are all sealed well enough, but...sure would hate to lose one when it can be prevented.
thanks
wild women don't get the blues

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 02:49:21 pm »
I don't think there is any sealer that will prevent movement of water in and out of wood.  I remember reading about experiments to make water pipes from paper.   All sorts of plastic and epoxy resins were used to "water proof " the paper, but the paper always got soggy and the pipes burst.   Now recall that paper is made from wood.  With a good sealer that moisture exchange is greatly slowed, but not stopped.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 04:04:22 pm »
Sadie
You should be fine, its only extreme cases !
I know you would be devastated if it happened but it is not likely !
I put mine on the floor under the bed for winter.
I hunt in Feb.,in single digit temps, no problems yet!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline dbb

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 04:34:03 pm »
If dry winter air is the problem you could always do as i...i have 11 aquariums spread out in my place ;D
That keeps the humidty pretty stable summer or winter.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...