Author Topic: Fox Quiver help  (Read 6734 times)

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Fox Quiver help
« on: November 25, 2011, 05:36:24 pm »
Iv got a case skinned, tanned, smoked red fox and gray fox.  I want to make a plains style quiver with one of them.  The red fox has full face intact and tail.  The gray fox is missing half of its face and the tail is missing.  If I sew up the skin behind the back legs and use the face/mouth for quiver opening, the red fox is 22-23 inches long.  Is this long enough for a plains quiver?  I was thinking maybe I could use a piece of the gray fox and sew on bottom of red fox to extend the length a little. I plan on lining with leather or braintan deer or making a tube out of one of these and putting skin over it.  Anyone have pics or suggestions on how to attach the shoulder strap and orient the skin for a plains style quiver?  All the pics I could find were of fox skin back quivers.  Any help is appreciated!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Fox Quiver help
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 05:45:19 pm »
Check out the "How To" section. Jackcrafty has a fur hide(coyote) quiver build alongs with lots of good info and techniques. I made one a few years ago but reversed what Patrick did so the coyote was facing forward. I also made a seperate  detachable possibles bag and used the face for the flap of the bag. I did use lots of Patrick's techniques. Working with hair on hides is a lot different than working with leather.
  I believe there are other hair on quiver build alongs in there also. Maybe one or two by Medicinewheel(Frank from Germany).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 08:06:13 pm »
Ok will do Pat.  If you have any pics of your coyote quiver can you post please.  Thanks
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 06:48:23 pm »
Sorry it has taken me so long to get these pics up. Photobucket has been screwing with me lately.  ;D  I made this for Tim Lathum a few years ago.  Anyway here they are...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 07:14:55 pm »
Holy crap Pat, that's nice!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 07:18:43 pm »
Thanks Cam. I posted this a few years ago.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 10:33:12 pm »
Thanks for posting pics Pat.  I want/need to extend the length of the quiver longer than the hide.  I would like to use the face as a flap to cover opening/knock end of arrow.  Would you just make a tube out of light weight/soft leather the length you needed and put the fox over it?  The "extra" length would hang out under the tail.  Im trying to imagine if this would look ok or not.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 01:09:15 am »
A few weeks ago I covered a gun scabbard with coyote hide for Mullet.  The hide was shorter than the scabbard too so I improvised.  Eddie didn't want the tail or legs hanging down where they would get wet or muddy so I improvised again. I made a seperate possibles bag from the head and neck with the face used as the flat and the mouth the opening. The tail was attached to a wand so Eddie could use it to keep the skeeters away.  Here it is...

Offline bareshaft12

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 11:03:45 pm »
Thats awesome next time i get a red fox,im sending it to you.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 07:57:45 pm »
Nicely done Pat.  Thanks for posting pics.  They are giving me ideas on how to go about this
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 11:58:07 am »
 That is fine looking work Pat
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 12:24:31 pm »
well done pat! think im gonna steal yr concept using the coyote head, since i didnt end up using the head on the hide you sent me. thanks!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 01:24:16 pm »
Guys, do read Jackcrafty's(Patrick) threads in the How To section. He gives lots of helpful info about working with hair-on hides like cutting out your patterns and stitching without getting tangled in all the hair.  ::)    I got most of my info from Patrick's posts there. 

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 09:34:27 pm »
Iv read through it a couple times and it is very helpful.  Im gonna read through it a couple more times as im doin my quiver.  Thanks again for the heads up
Aim Small...Hit Small