Author Topic: Bug bombs  (Read 2597 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Bug bombs
« on: December 03, 2011, 11:14:51 am »
Why couldnt a guy built a tee-pee of sorts with his fresh staves. Cover it with a tarp. Then set off a bug bomb or two on the inside? Wouldnt that just wipe out any infestation and any future infestation? Maybe its old news and Im slow........er.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JonW

Re: Bug bombs
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 12:24:34 pm »
I am guessing that it works because that is what I do. Not with a tee pee but I have a small storage space and I just stack them in there and set one off.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 12:43:55 pm »
I don’t know how lasting a bug bomb will be for protection. You might have to do it a few times per year. I think bug bombs are instant death not preventative?

I didn't even think about bugs and in California we have termites, flyers and subterranean types. I am scheduled to have my house tented (every ten years or so I do it) so I guess that should take care of it for a while. It's unbelievable how much damage termites can do in a short time!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 01:20:03 pm »
The bored that attack osage come from eggs laid in the bark. When the temp gets right they hatch and begin eating.  I guess it would depend on where these grubs are in their development as to whether it will work or not. If still in the egg stage most critters are protected by the outer coating on the egg(shell, etc). The poison doesn't affect them until they hatch.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 01:56:36 pm »
The borers that ruin osage do not live in South Dakota, the climate is far too cold and dry for them.  Might I suggest you send all your osage up here where I can store it safely for you?  I will monitor it's moisture content for you and keep it at low humidity levels.  Kinda like the government has the installation for storing the gold bullion, I will securely store the gold staves. 

We'll call it Fort Nocks!

>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 10:38:18 pm »
With all the bugs we have in Florida that bite people I have never had a bug mess up my staves. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 10:54:07 pm »
Go buy some high quality bug spray, the kind they mix and spray around your home to keep out bugs. Spray the storage area real good then spray all of your staves. It will keep them safe not to mention keeping the black widow spiders out of your stack.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 11:30:13 am »
I don't think I need to worry much about Michigan bugs, but who know what I brought home with the logs. The only bug damage I have ever noticed was old damage done prior to me getting the stave up here. I think our bitter winters knock the socks off most bugs. Who knows. I was just trying to think of an easy-cheezy way to eradicate them sumguns.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 02:29:22 pm »
  I've thought about this myself but like PAT said the eggs are already there.repelant from LOWES. I cut my staves in the winter. Not thats it's better for them I just have the time then. When I store it I spray with insect repelant from LOWES and again in a couple months before warm weather.
    But the last couple years I've srayed my staves with varfane which totally seals the stave where no airs avalable to the eggs THIS KILLS ALL. I spayed with bug stray then varafane and just varafane. But either ways works good. But theres a chance that you could miss or not kill with repelant. With VARAFANE no air no bugs. Both to be extutre sure. This will work where ever your at.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING