Author Topic: Primitive bunny blunts and other tips.  (Read 5594 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Primitive bunny blunts and other tips.
« on: December 01, 2011, 01:33:24 pm »
I have gotten a few primitive arrows finished.  Some of them are tips I got from Bubby in trade.  The bunny blunts are all me.  I raided the local playground pebble pit for similar sized round rocks a bit larger than a marble.  I was going to try and make a Judo point but i have these rubber "Barta Blunts" and they work fine so I primitived them.  The shafts were going to receive an actual set of Judos but they sold out before I got into town  :-[.  SO I have mixn'match arrows.  It's utilitarian.

The long arrow I wish I could say was a detachable tip but the truth is I cut it twice and it was still too short  :-[.

I used artificial sinew with nice rub down of TB3.  My ABO (looking) fishing arrow is nearly complete.  If anyone has a few feet of a sinew colored Fast flight I'd appreciate.  I'm wondering how well a few twisted layers of artificial sinew will stand up to BIG fish pulling on it.

My first hand fletching job.

Progress on my Abo fishing arrow.  I wanted a long thin extension onto which to put a narrow head that will detach and flip sidewasyes "toggle head".  I eat the Buffalo and Asian carp I shoot and bigger heads sometimes mangle meat.  Plus it's just cool.  the extension is a skinny but thick walled section of bamboo that I filled with a piece of 1/16" (about) spring steel wire that I got from Fastenal.  That inserts into the other shaft and is bound on with a TB3 and artificial sinew in three layers.  The fletching is 2 feathers helical from "the wrong side" of a feather.  Pics coming for that.  Working on the antler tip now.

The hidden steel core

The joint.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 01:48:55 pm by Prarie Bowyer »

Offline adb

Re: Primitive bunny blunts and other tips.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 01:37:45 pm »
Stone blunts? Very cool. And very primitive... nice work!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 01:52:11 pm »
I saw some arrows fletched like this on youtube and figured I'd try it.  They are supposed to be supprisingly accurate.  Bow fishing is mostly close range anyway.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 02:15:15 pm »
SWEET fletching job PB!  Hope the sinew/wrapping holds up to the abuses of blunt shooting.  GREAT JOB!! dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 02:34:18 pm »
nice arrows! well done
wild women don't get the blues

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 03:36:10 pm »
Those arrows look nice to me.  I'm curious how those stone points will hold up. 

Is the flint point going to work for your harpoon style head? 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 04:11:55 pm »
Gstoneberg,

Yes.  I'm making two and as usual I made it into rocket science first then came back to earth.

My neighbor has farm land by the river and we dump our leaves there.  I have the OK to kill bunnies, turkey, and deer there.  I have no place for big game but bunnies :-).  I can see their little tunnels in the grass.  I don't anticipate hitting too much hard stuff.  I may knock some squirrels out of trees also.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 06:26:01 pm »
nice arrows PB, check around and see if a food bank will take the meat, least ways then you can get in some deer hunting, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bareshaft12

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 10:59:19 pm »
nice job I like it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 12:52:03 am »
Stoned bunnies!  ;D Nice set of arrows.   The 2fletch can be as accurate as three or 4 if you set them up right.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 02:30:19 am »
Stoned bunnies!  ;D Nice set of arrows.   The 2fletch can be as accurate as three or 4 if you set them up right.

What is "right"?  I just saw it and thought.  Hey that uses fewer feathers and seems to work well = more efficient use of materials.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 10:36:47 am »
Good looking arrows.  I really like the stone tipped blunts.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 12:15:13 pm »
Thanks guys!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 05:25:53 pm »
Very nice work!
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 08:42:37 pm »
Took them all out shooting today. 

2 fletch fish arrow shoots a tad low and kicks it's tail to the left before straightening out.  Other wise it's great!

The pebble heads fly straight and true.  I killed me the crap out of a box at 15 yards :laugh:  if I could get that close to a bunny I can knock him silly with them.  The heads held up.  Duplex point flew fine.  Didn't shoot the others.