Author Topic: Black Walnut Sapwood  (Read 1981 times)

TurtleCreek

Black Walnut Sapwood
« on: December 07, 2011, 10:04:25 am »
  I had acquired a 72 inch long, by 2 inch wide, by 2 inch thick stave of black walnut.  It is straight, clean, and I decided to decrown so I could back it with either maple or hickory.    The thing is, the stave is all sapwood.  I would like to make a bow out of it that is 66 inches to 68 inches long, 1 and 3/8 to 1 and 1/2 inches wide till just past mid limb where it will taper from there to 5/8 or 3/4 for the tips- similar to an eastern woodlands profile.  I would also like it to be in the neighborhood of 45 pounds at my 27 inch draw, and I am thinking of a semi working handle.  My question is this, How does black walnut sapwood differ in compression as compared to black walnut heartwood?  I know that trapping the back may help some, but any design/construction tips for what I am looking to get out of this would be a big help.  Also, are my two options mentioned above for backing good ones, or would there be something better?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Black Walnut Sapwood
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:36:09 am »
If its clean I wouldnt back it all Ryan. Unless your trying to add some relfex or deflex to it of course.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 03:02:58 pm »
The only issue with not backing it is that the stave had a bit of reflex and some shallow grooves and ridges running the entire length, so when I had "leveled" out the back, this had produced some ring violations.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 04:13:51 pm »
Ahhh, I leave the grooves and ridges alone. I try not back bows if I dont haffa'. Im too impatient for one more operation.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.