Author Topic: Yellow Birch ?  (Read 4634 times)

CHUCKER

Yellow Birch ?
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:25:21 am »
Has anyone had experience using this wood for self bows. I have not seen much discussion here or else were about it being used as a bow wood. What is your opinion?

Offline DanaM

Re: Yellow Birch ?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 10:36:39 am »
I believe YB will work, haven't used it myself but from cutting it for firewood it seems to be tougher that white birch.
As a white would I keep the dimensions at 2" wide at fades and at leat 68" long
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline snedeker

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 10:51:30 am »
I have seen fine bows made of yellow birch, I know M. St. Louis rates it highly.  Go for it.  I did a sweet birch bow in the winter, s. birch a bit heavier than yellow, and I was shockced at how well it performs.

Dave

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 05:58:41 pm »
I've made some bows out of Yellow Birch. It is good wood but I prefer Sugar Maple. Yellow Birch can do the twist on you as it dries
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

CHUCKER

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 10:19:43 am »
Thanks for the info! I have Sugar Maple but wanted to try other local woods. The twisty grain we see when splitting Yellow Birch is similar to Elm, so I though it would be as tough. I think I will rough one out and clamp it up good and see what happens.
Thanks again!

makete

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 11:32:45 am »
I am glad you asked this question as I have been looking at some Yellow Birch trees and was wondering the same thing. Let us know how things work out with this wood. So White Birch doesnt make good bow wood?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 01:05:54 pm »
Yes white birch will work also
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 03:41:29 pm »
I made one yellow birch bow, it turned out ok.  Just treat it like any other white wood.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....