Author Topic: Made a biface, now what point? Finished.  (Read 5441 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Made a biface, now what point? Finished.
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2012, 03:55:38 am »
Sweeet.   :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bubby

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 04:24:08 am »
george i bet if you took just a hair off the basel side of the notch on the right, it's just a tad narrower than the other, that you'll be able to get unstalled, nice point buy the way ;D, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 09:28:10 am »
Bub, that thin notch isn't the one that stalled.  The one on the left in the picture is the culprit.  I need to stay more alert when I'm notching.  I was revelling in how long and narrow that other one was when suddenly I got nothing on the other one.  It wasn't quite as narrow as the other one and opened up at the base as I kept trying to get a flake.  I think I could have widened it a little and unstalled it, but decided to let it be and go with that.  I'll eventually get it right.  Thanks for the help.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bubby

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2012, 03:58:52 pm »
that's cool George, that side just didn't look as deep, musta been the blind guy on this end :laugh:

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2012, 04:40:23 pm »
Bub,

I'll take any and all help so it's no problem at all.  What baffles me on this stuff is that a couple weeks ago I couldn't get my points thin enough.  Now, I'm having trouble getting them to stay over 100grains.  I used to have to hold my points at quite an angle to drive a flake any distance.  Now I'm holding the point almost flat and occasionally overshoot.  If I put any angle in I get horrible steps.  I don't know what changed, it's the dangdest thing ever.  I'm still not good at pressure flaking.  I may grab my bucket of rocks and show up on Cowboy's doorstep one of these days...see if I can con him into helping a desperate old man. ;)  I think it would help my notching if I'd get a little better at pressure flaking.

Anyway please, advice and criticism are most welcome.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline TRACY

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2012, 07:12:24 pm »
Looks like a mighty fine point George. Practice makes perfect, that's what I keep telling myself with my slow learning curve ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bubby

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2012, 07:51:40 pm »
George i still mostly pressure flake slabs, if you've got any of the stuff i sent you work them for awhile, i use a 1/4" copper and try and get at-lest half way across all the way around then use 1/8" copper to work my way to the center on the edge, of coarse i thought i was doing good till i saw that Sawfiler has only been at it since '09 :'(, hell i wish i could do better at percussion, just gotta practice more, Bub

Offline Will H

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2012, 10:14:50 pm »
That looks great george! your really getting the hang of that notching thing!  :D  Good job fella!
~Will
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"