Author Topic: Scored some staves  (Read 1592 times)

Offline DLH

Scored some staves
« on: March 04, 2012, 09:15:27 pm »
Scored a tree off my grandpas wasn't big but had some metal in it so thought I would try to save it. Cut it yesterday sealed the ends and split it today haven't took the bark off yet trying to decided whether it would make some bows? I thought it was hickory at first but maybe thinking elm now not sure what kind though? Any ideas what kind of elm if that's even what it is? Bark reminds me of cedar but I know its not that for sure. Well here is some pictures thanks for looking.

This is a pick of the thinnest stave think there is enough thickness to make a bow?

Average width on these are around three inches wide some bigger some smaller. What about where those bugs bored it I'm assuming think that can be worked around? Bark is still on trying to decide if they would make a bow? What do you all think? Thanks for looking.

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Scored some staves
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 09:26:18 pm »
I agree it looks like elm. The critters have hit it pretty hard. From your pics I would say you might be able to get a set of billets out of it, but don't see any usable full length staves.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline DLH

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 06:57:20 pm »
Yeah I was afraid of that at-least its not a complete loss would have just been fire wood eventually anyways. Maybe I'll try a build/help along later on down the road trying to splice the billets who knows will cross that bridge when I get that thanks for the advice Hrothgar.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 07:36:35 pm »
Having problems seeing the pics.clearly what is your ring count per inch?
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:11:36 pm »
Maybe elm. Red elm is notorious for having carpenter ants carve it all up down the middle of the trunk.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline DLH

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:28:27 pm »
Red elm is the weakest of the elms correct? I'll get back with you on the rings per inch soy keep my stuff at my parents house for school so I'll look at them this week end and get back with ya. Want thicker rings I take it?

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:32:36 pm »
No,it is prob red elm with that ant damage ...but my first thought with the first couple pics was hhb that is why i ask
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...