Author Topic: rock I.D.  (Read 1377 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
rock I.D.
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:56:15 pm »
Can anybody tell me what kind of rock this is?

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Bill Skinner

Re: rock I.D.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 11:49:15 pm »
Where are you? 

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 09:13:59 am »
I'm on the west side of Michigan.
Rockford, MI

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 06:47:53 pm »
If you were down in the Carolinas, I would say ryolite but I don't know any thing about the lithics in your area.  Have you tried to knapp it?  Bill

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 10:46:06 pm »
Yes I did try, half-a$$ tried anyway. I still don't have much knapping experience. It has one heck of a sharp edge on it, but I cant seem to get a piece big enough to make anything from, could be my lack of experience. Well, I guess I'll just keep hittin it, if something usable appears I'll be sure to share some pics. Thanks Bill :)

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 12:41:38 am »
Get a metal pot with a lid, put some dry sand in it and bury a small chunk of rock in the sand.  Put it on 200 for a couple of hours after supper and before you go to bed, crank it up to 450-500.  When you get up in the morning, turn the stove off.  Your rock will be cool enough to check and to try to knapp that afternoon.  See if it improves the rock, if it does, buy a toaster oven for the garage or shop and start cooking.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 10:26:26 am »
Good sound advice! I'm currently just west of GR and have yet to see anything remotely knappable but haven't had a lot of time to look either. Mostly looks like granite and limestone or maybe something else. Good luck with that rock and let us know.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 10:30:05 pm »
Hey Cowboy, you live just west of GR, or just visiting? I live about 15 minutes north of GR.

Dave
Rockford, MI