Author Topic: power of a selfbow question  (Read 2800 times)

Offline iowabow

power of a selfbow question
« on: November 30, 2011, 10:24:54 am »
I have heard of compound shooters going through a shoulder of a deer but has any done this or know of someone that did this with a self bow.  I think if they did it would have to be with a real high pound bow and a heavy arrow.  Maybe someone killed a deer and did it with a war bow anyway I was just wondering. I know it is not where you aim but maybe it happened by mistake.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: power of a selfbow question
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 10:56:28 am »
Only a compound guy would aim for the shoulder anyway.  >:D I aim a little lower and behind the leg (in the heart). I can tell you that a 60# bow with wood arrows and stone points will break ribs and pass clear through if you hit them through the heart.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 02:22:02 pm »
You can get complete passthru with low poundage bows by going for the ribs.  If you are afraid your accuracy isn't enough to keep the arrow in the ribs, you can go to a higher poundage bow.  Just be bloody dang sure you don't blow your accuracy even worse.  I shoot a 50# bow regularly, and practice with a 60 lb bow from time to time.  I just can't hit the side of a phone booth from the inside with the 60 # bow!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Will H

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 02:38:35 pm »
John, that last buck I killed the arrow went through and hit the ground on the other side. Broke a rib on the exit side. I was shooting a 55# bow with a 760gr arrow, the arrowhead was 1 1/2" wide and only barley nicked the tip off. On the other hand, I shot a big mature buck the other weekend at about 10yds and hit him high right at the top of the shoulder. The outcome was not as good...no penetration hardly at all. The sinew wrap behind the point didn't even have blood. I figure he'll get scarred worse by a thorn bush ;) anyway, I've killed a few deer with a compound and it's not always good to hit shoulder even then. I've lost two deer to similar hits with the same result. NO penetration! I was shooting a fast top of the line PSE that shoots around 340 IBO. I had it setup like a trad bow shooting 10-12 gpp arrows. 70lbs shooting a 700gr arrow with highdollar silver flame broadheads. My point is nothing is a sure thing. That's bowhunting. Stay away from heavy bone! Double lung is the best most ethical way to go!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 12:08:01 am »
I've put an arrow through an inch and a half shield on a hog, complete passthru, with a 60# Osage.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 02:00:50 am »
 Hey thanks for the replies.  My intent was not to go for the shoulder I was just wondering if anyone ever shot through one with a self bow.  I saw that ice man show and it showed an xray of a flint point that passed through the scapula and cut the subclavian vein resulting in his death maybe.

(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Kpete

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 12:17:12 pm »
No experience with stone points but I have shot through the scapula of whitetail deer with no problem.   I have not hit the humerous bone.  Trad gear.