Author Topic: CrazzzzzzzY chunk O wood :)  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: CrazzzzzzzY chunk O wood :)
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 12:08:40 am »
I love character bows but at that price you better go very slow and carefully consider every scrape. ::)

Offline bcbull

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 12:42:11 am »
that stave
esold on e baAY I Watched it for a week but not about to give that for it besides iv seen better ones deans got some haha sorry dean i opend my mouth but it s nice but didnt really like the growth ring s hope the guy get s a nice bow out of it  brock

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 08:07:42 am »
Funny things Character bows, lotta work for something that's going to be looked at more than shot.
I think the real ones to value are both character and good shooters. Don't think I'd ever pay for a character stave... if a wobbly bit of wood wants to be a bow it'll find me :)
But I gotta admit I wouldn't kick that one out of the workshop :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 08:49:55 am »
Beautiful piece of wood, them things can be tricky for sure. I have seen and worked some pretty snaky stuff but not sure I have every seem one more snaky than that. Sweet. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 10:17:11 am »
  Yes but the one I had did'nt have that close a curves. A
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

mikekeswick

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 10:26:23 am »
Sure is crazy! :o I'm not sold on the amount of early wood in what I can see of the end grain shot. It would need to be wider than normal for osage.....but it would be a fun challenge!

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 11:07:55 am »
Yeah, I watched that stave on eBay too. It was sold by Lavern Bartels (goes by the name le_enterprises on eBay).

I don't know if he makes bows or if he just chops trees and sells wood. He listed the auction for 10 days rather than the normal 7, so he knew he was going to get a pretty penny for it. The stave was wide enough (4+ inches) to split down the middle and try for two bows, though with all that snake getting a precision split might be challenging. Not that anything with that stave is going to be easy...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 11:14:36 pm »
I thought I recognized his lawn chair!!!  I've bought a stave from him before.  It was a straight, plain jane stave and made a very fine bow. 

That's a great looking stave and I am hoping the guy that won it is up to the task.  I have seen snakier stuff turned into a bow, but never one with such incredibly regimented character, almost like it was woven thru a ladder as a sapling.  I wanna see that baby finished out!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.