Author Topic: Sight question  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Hawkeye1974

Sight question
« on: October 18, 2011, 02:34:58 pm »
Is it against the Primitive Bow code to use a sight light especially at night or in a dark/darker area while hunting?
In-laws taking me hunting in Michigan around in december. 
If a guy can fire 3 arrows 125 meters he not only deserves his own movie.  He deserves his own reality show!!! 

-Anonymous

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sight question
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 02:45:09 pm »
Most rules regarding primitive archery are self imposed. If you feel comfortable using sights then go for it. To me they are another thing to hinder my hunting style. Most state laws don't allow hunting much after sunset so I wouldn't think a lighted sight would be necessary.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkeye1974

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 02:53:39 pm »
Thanks.
I myself have never been bowhunting, also it would be the property of a uncle of my wife's.
So I wasn't sure about laws in regards to night hunting.  I don't like regular sights but I thought maybe using a light sight wouldn't be considered extreme or "cheating".
thanks again still have alot to learn.
Tony
If a guy can fire 3 arrows 125 meters he not only deserves his own movie.  He deserves his own reality show!!! 

-Anonymous

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 03:01:33 pm »
Contact the Mich. DNR and have them send you a regulations booklet and read it before you go hunting. Even on private land all game laws apply and it would be bad if you were cought breaking the game laws there. Ignorance of the law is no excuse!!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 10:34:08 pm »
Hawkeye, you can't legally hunt deer after dark here in Michigan. However there's no laws against lighted sights. I used them in the past, lots of years ago when I was still hunting with training wheels on my bow. ;), never did like them. Anyway, where in Michigan will you be hunting?

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 08:47:35 am »
Whats a sight?  O:) ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Hawkeye1974

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 11:03:35 am »
@  Dave: most times of her family's from Zeeland and allendale,the uncle in question I am told lives in or near the U.P.  (Hope that helps I am a Chicago city kid.)

@ Del: its a form of scope that alloows for extended sight.

-Anonymous

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 11:17:24 am »
  I think he was just jokeing.
 A light not a bow scope, but a light that shines on your sites. Alowing  you to better see your sites in low light.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 11:18:49 am »
Hawk- you still live in the city?  Several of us are talking about having a get-together. Interested?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 11:31:58 am »
That's cool hawkeye. Allendale is about twenty minutes from me. Lots of big corn fed deer in allendale, a lot more hunters than deer though. Zeeland is not much farther. My Wife would move us to downtown Chicago if I'd let her. The critter population sucks, not much hunting opportunities,  how far you gotta drive to hunt down there?

Dave
Rockford, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 12:12:47 pm »
Hahaha...I grew up n went to Zeeland schools all my life,and if I lived across the road I woodve went to Allendale....lol. hawkeye I prob know your wife or for sure some of her fam members. Tell her im a Driesenga.  Do you know where your hunting yet? If your hunting in my old stomping grounds I might be able to tell ya some good spots. And yup..last I knew lighted sights on a bow are legal,but you don't need them with a stickbow.

Offline JO_EZ

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 12:42:00 pm »
Ah, new stuff is fun. New to hunting, new place to hunt. Fun, fun, fun.

If you use the arrow to aim with at all, (I use the point of aim method) you can put a little white out or white paint of some sort on the tip of your arrow to help in low light conditions. I have black arrows and black broad heads and shooting in legal, but dim conditions can be a challenge.

Besides, in December in the U.P., you might be wanting to get somewhere warm when the sun goes down.

Have fun up north. It is beautiful up there.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 05:52:40 pm »
Bring your snow shoes...................seriously.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.