Author Topic: Monster elm so far so good  (Read 2344 times)

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
Monster elm so far so good
« on: October 09, 2011, 12:07:12 am »
Hi all,have  not made posted or shot a bow all summer, but have one in the works-this is an elm 66" 70-80#ish@24" of draw.Heat treated.Just was looking for any tips you might have thanks Hammertime.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 12:11:52 am by hammertime »

Offline hammertime

Re: Monster elm so far so good
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 01:09:04 am »
Gstoneberg is going to posts pics for me....I think....I cannot figure out how to post here any more it says I failed security checks and need to contact an administrator...anyways thanks-Hammertime

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 01:27:10 am »
I tried to upload all 5 pictures and got a security violation.  I'll try 3 this time.  That doesn't work either.  How bout FlickR URLs?

Aha, that seems to work.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline hammertime

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 01:35:26 am »
OK Thanks George---other specs1/2@ the tips,stave had a natural kink with pin knot near handle area so I wrapped with sinew then hemp.1" 1/4 wide at the center.Thanks for looking-Hammertime

Offline hammertime

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 07:28:35 pm »
Thanks Scott....likewise....Hammertme ;D

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 12:15:50 am »
Sweet Stick Hammer!! The critters won't know what hit him with 70-80#s coming at them. Go make some meat with it!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline hammertime

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 10:35:07 pm »
Thanks Dave...will not get out until the end of october but I can't wait.Anything I should be doing to the bow as I work it out to full draw?I was hoping for the upper 60s .scrape more in the center or tips?.That wiggle/kink makes me a liitle nervous but I am not sure what to do with it...Thanks all for looking-Hammertime

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 11:27:25 pm »
Id say work out that bottom limb with the wrap in the fade area first. Its basically not bending and stiff just out past that all the way to the tips. Then you'll need to scrape a lil more at the outer mid limb to tips on the other limb(the upper one in your full draw photo) to finesse the tiller in. I think your already pulling it to far. Never pull past a hinge,and your def hinging that fade.
just my two cents of constructive criticism :)

Offline hammertime

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 11:33:30 pm »
ok thank you sir just needed a push in the right direction-Hammertime

Offline druid

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 02:51:05 am »
This bow works just near the handle- everything else is stiff. Try to make limb bending along it's length- it will be lower draw weight but will be much better and more efficient bow.

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 12:13:08 pm »
Agreed. Both mid to outer limbs are stiff. When you have a deflexed kink it will always look like it's bending too far - get yourself some calipers to check the thickness taper. As long as the kink isn't thinner then no problems. I also wouldn't be pulling it that far.