Author Topic: How to deal with knots  (Read 2374 times)

Offline dean

How to deal with knots
« on: October 16, 2011, 01:59:43 pm »
I've got a few knots on the back of a stave I've been working on. I've seen some finished bows with knots on their backs. How do I deal with the knots without compromising my bow?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How to deal with knots
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 02:07:31 pm »
As long as you don't violate the rings around the knot and have plenty of wood around them they shouldn't be a problem. That area of the limb(s) will probably be a bit stiffer as you tiller.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 12:02:22 am »
  I do'nt do anything special just build my bow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 01:46:28 pm »
First thing that came to mind was to ask you what type of wood it was.  Then I smacked myself on the head and said, "That's a stupid question, John, duh!  Doesn't matter what kind of wood it is, you just don't violate the growth rings, especially around knots."

I usually leave a raised bump overtop of a set of pin knots or whatever knot is on a limb.  I do this by carefully chasing one good growth ring across the whole bow, taking extra time and effort around getting that knot's growth ring exposed.  Sometimes I have to go so far as to use a set of tiny carving knives and dental picks to follow that growth ring around the knot.  Then I draw a circle around the knot with a pencil and leave everything inside the circle while I go down to the NEXT ring.  That way I have an extra cap of wood over the knot to hold down splinters, etc. 

Now when you define the edges of the limbs, be sure to follow the grain of the wood.  The grain lines are the lines that wood naturally splits along when a log is split out, like for firewood or for fencerails.  The grain of the wood will probably flow out and around the knot just like a little creek will split and widen out around a rock in midstream.  If you follow that grain like gospel and treat it right, the bow will remember this and reward you for it. 

That's what most people mean when they say leave a little extra wood around a knot.  Lastly, leave a little extra on the belly at that point, too.  It should show as a bit of flattening in the curve of the limb when the bow is drawn, a flat spot.  Yeah, you heard right, you don't want perfect tillering and perfect arcs on a limb with a knot. 

Clear as mud?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 11:32:42 pm »
Very good advice JW.   ;)
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 02:06:21 am »
So what...ya got a couple knots.....so work "around" them...lol :laugh:

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 05:35:30 am »
I'm not really a fan of leaving extra rings around knots. I know it can be (and is!) done this way but I much prefer to have a single ring for the whole back and where there are knots I leave a little extra width. As much extra as the area the knot covers. This way there are no spots where a splinter can lift and the knot isn't taking any more 'load' due to the extra wood. Imagine you've got a perfect whitewood tree with knots - you remove the bark and make a bow - the back isn't going to blow - no 'extra' ring. If you were working an osage stave down to one ring you wouldn't decide to have a 'step down' to the next ring mid limb....
Just my thoughts ;)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 10:49:22 am »
dean, most knots do need some type of additional treatment. I usually take the knot down to the same in when I can and compensate with additional width letting the grain swirl.  If I can't leave wood on the width then I try to leave some on the belly. I try to tiller so that the knotted area stays slightly stiffer than the rest of the limb. Just a bit. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!