Author Topic: fishing spools?  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

fishing spools?
« on: October 09, 2011, 03:50:27 am »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,24210.15.html

I'd like to make up 1-3 of these.  I'm guessing exact dimensions are not terribly imporatant?

Offline frankg

Re: fishing spools?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 12:49:17 pm »
I had one years ago that was just a tapered rectangle about 3/4"thick , 4" wide in back, 3-1/2" in front and 4" long. It was rounded off on all the corners smooth and had leather on top and bottom surfaces. It mounted with the narrow edge to bow below grip with two tabs . Be real easy to make one .
South of Klamath Falls OR , North of Calif border .

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 01:43:49 am »
I'm having a hard timm visualizing that. 

I'm looking at those spools and they look like the sides are parallel, minus the gentle hollow for the string.  Looking at the plastic ones I'm wondering which design is more efficient and what aspects are the most important.  Spool diameter should be big?  What features help prevent tangling?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 01:44:37 am »
Oh I'm not certain I fully understand how to attch it.  What knot is used to make is secure?

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 10:13:34 am »
3 to 5" is plenty wide for the spool,and the bear aluminum is the one to copy from. The line pays out and goes back on easily. Size isn't that important,other than the weight factor. And any knot you can tie well should suffice.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 01:04:32 pm »
Anybody have any experience with the "shoot through spool" ?

I'm wondering if the metal tabs are a good idea with a bamboo backed bow.  I'm guessing it could be laced as the others do.  I tried to use rubber wrappson a previous experiment and it left black streaks all over the bow.  I'm making one of each in willow right now.  Shoot through will have a 7.75" O.D. and then I'll make the other style from drop coming from the shoot through.  Just need to figure out how to hold it for sanding after cutting it free. :-\

I'm thinking like a disk and some hold down clamps, but I don't know how ballanced it will be.  I guess for hand sanding it neednt be perfect.

Link to the Shoot through pic was removed because it was an advertisement.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:45:03 pm by Prarie Bowyer »

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 03:46:41 pm »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 09:12:33 pm »
 That reel on Tradgang is different but too big for me. If you're going to use a glass bow there are easier ways to make and use one. I'm making one out of bamboo for my osage bows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 03:19:47 am »
Mullet~  Yea I just thought the idea was interesting.  As i think about it I wonder if it affects the draw of the bow since the brackets are so far apart. :P

Mine is 7.5 or so on the OD.  (need to measure it, I use a pretty loosy goosey process when I turn wood).  When I cut out the center that will give me another one like the original posts.  Getting kinda sick of working with the willow.  It stinks.  It looks cool but it stinks.  Future ones will probably not be in willow unless they are a commission and there is  "stink premium" paid.

Hey what do you guys suggest for arrow line.  I live 1 hour from a sporting goods place that has overpriced "bowfishing line" and I don't really need anything else from 3 rivers right now.  I thought about that trot line material from Wallmart but it stretches and is a double braid which can unravel as fish go nuts.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 03:25:46 am »
That reel on Tradgang is different but too big for me. If you're going to use a glass bow there are easier ways to make and use one. I'm making one out of bamboo for my osage bows.

Love to see a pic when finished.

I'm planning to go make meat Thur so I need to get this spool and bow finished.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 10:27:41 pm »
Ok well as usual the first one was nearly finished.  It just needed a tad more cleanup on the inside and BANG! It broke in halve and shot across the garage.

I'm having issues holding the ring after I cut it free.  The first one is 7.25 OD which is bigger than my jaws can hold.  I don't have the large format jaws (want them and would trade a couple spools to the kind soul who sent it as a gift, but wife would hang me for buying it right now).

I turned down a piece of pine and then made a pair of clips from bamboo backingscraps.  It was holding.  I think I just need more clips and to not rush the deal.  OR I could try a trapezoid tapered plug to force teh rings onto to reach into the inside and clean up the two halves.  I don't trust that to hold it well though.

any ideas?