Author Topic: Our Bucks are Posing??  (Read 3227 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Our Bucks are Posing??
« on: October 11, 2011, 01:29:33 am »
For some reason our best bucks decided to pose for our trail cameras this month.  Of course, they didn't show when I was sitting with the bow.  A new 8pt showed up at the field feeder to challenge the resident 8pt (on the left in this picture).

Then he moved over to the blue feeder (where I have a pop-up blind set up)

and posed.

But, he was totally upstaged by the 11pt buck which I know is at least 5.5 but might be even be 6.5 years old.  His neck hasn't even filled out yet.  I went after him Thursday night but he was a no-show (as usual).  He's avoided me for 3 seasons already. 

Too bad there's no way to hunt that spot with primitive gear.  Wish I knew what direction he was coming into the field from.  We even got 2 pictures of him there in daylight.  Doubt it'll happen again if history repeats itself.  I'd sure like to slip a stone point between those ribs.  Sadly, the feeder he frequents the most had its trail cam fail so I didn't get many pictures there.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Our Bucks are Posing??
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 02:07:19 am »
George those are nice looking deer and that 11 pointer is a dandy..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:24:03 am »
Beautiful Buck,hope you get a crack at him. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline johnston

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 12:01:33 pm »
George ya'll feeding corn? It is godawful high this year in SC.

Lane

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 12:21:52 pm »
Yes, those are corn feeders. We feed protein in 2 different feeders through fawning and antler growing seasons. Corn is very high and we feed year around because of the hogs.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 12:56:18 pm »
That last buck is a big one.  Hopefully you get a shot at him.  When does your rut start down there?  Ours starts heating up at the end of this month.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 01:06:58 pm »
In my experience the best time to see the nicer bucks where I'm hunting is right at Thanksgiving.  I suspect the heaviest breeding goes on the first week in December.  We'll see the younger bucks getting frisky and beginning to chase in early to mid November.  Our rifle season opens Nov1 and runs to the end of the year down here.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 10:16:21 pm »
Hmmm, Thanksgiving at George's has a nice ring to it!  Stick a deer or three, chase some Hogs around...maybe bring my Harris Hawk and chase some Cottontails and Jack Rabbits and then spend a little time traveling the countryside looking for some Native American artifacts and stone points  8) ::) >:D

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 10:33:47 pm »
Suppertime!!!!!!!!!!!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 02:21:20 am »
Hmmm, Thanksgiving at George's has a nice ring to it!  Stick a deer or three, chase some Hogs around...maybe bring my Harris Hawk and chase some Cottontails and Jack Rabbits and then spend a little time traveling the countryside looking for some Native American artifacts and stone points  8) ::) >:D

It'd work for me...but there are 3 other guys on the lease that would take a dim view of me bringing reinforcements.  Later in December I could do it, but the odds of seeing that whopper are close to zero then.  We will do the hog chasing for sure Lee.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 03:22:37 am »
Best of luck on your bucks  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 05:14:13 am »
Boy Howdy! I hope you get to drop a string one of them thar corn fed bucks.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)