Author Topic: plains bow question  (Read 1025 times)

Offline SA

plains bow question
« on: October 06, 2011, 12:52:57 am »
i started a  osage bow that is 50'' overall 1.5'' at the handle and about .5'' at the tips . i was wanting to do a plains style  bow should it be narrower like 1.25'' or is that good? i guess i just need to know what  the best layout from here is , any advise ..
thanks ,shawn
Shawn Acker

Offline JonW

Re: plains bow question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 01:02:51 am »
I have the same thing in the works. Mine is 1.5 inches as well. I figured that if it started getting to thin in the limbs I would start tillering from the sides. You could also narrow it in the handle some if the grip feels too wide in the hand.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 01:10:04 am »
It would be a fairly rare Plains bow to have much taper in the handle area.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 02:18:45 am »
Howdy,  You could always check out the bows described in J.Hamm and S. Allely's  Encyclopedia of Native American Bows and arrows.   The bows I've seen in museums are invariably pretty unexciting in over-all design.   Nice curves with their reflex, deflex, but very little taper and no narrowed handles.   Also they tend to be short and fairly narrow.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers