Author Topic: Redemption!  (Read 1816 times)

Offline nyarrow

Redemption!
« on: October 06, 2011, 11:48:40 pm »
  The last two bows I have attempted I poured my heart and soul into, literally over 20+ hours into each bow. They both ended the same....a crack right near or just after final tillering. So last night (by direction of a friend bowyer) I decided to make a bow. The goal was to make a bow that would shoot, no preset weights, lengths etc just let the wood bend as it wished. Amazingly in less that 1 1/2 hours I had a bow tillered out to 50lbs @28". 66" Hickory self bow, 5" handle, 2" at the fades parallel out to 12" from the tips and then tapered to 1/2". Belly taper of 5/8 to 5/16. Its certainly very rough and needs a ton of finish work but was a breath of fresh air after the last two let downs.  Just wanted to post this as a training tool for those new bowyers in the stages of failure.

Offline Scott E

Re: Redemption!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 11:57:48 pm »
Good job, I know its frustrating when a bow fails, I have had my fair share. Its that much more rewarding when you finally get a shooter. Don't stop there, make another!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 12:45:36 am »
Congratulations!!!  8)  It's a great feeling when you finally build "that" bow, the one that tops all the rest.    It really isn't as difficult as some folks want to make it.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 12:46:09 am »
Awesome job! I can't wait to see pics!

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 01:06:53 am »
thats awesome ! , glad to see the burden lifted , nothing wrong with spending time and attention to detail but every now and then you just need to crank one out !! good job

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 07:31:24 am »
Congrats. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 10:53:16 am »
Way to go!  I think I broke 8 in the beginning, in a row.  Not many break anymore but it still happens.  Looking forward to seeing it.
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 10:57:11 am »
I agree with Pat 100%. Its not as difficult as some folks make it out to be. You relaxed and simply made a bow. Good job!...............................sorry about your Yankees.........hehehehehe
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 11:05:54 am »
Great, once you've got the magic touch, it all seems much simpler (for a while ::))
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 01:32:15 pm »
Congratulations, now your hooked! :)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline k-hat

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 04:26:26 pm »
Glad to see you back at it!!!!  Those hick bows are good stuff I'm tellin ya!!  I hadn't seen you post in a while and i was wondering just the other day if you were still at it, congrats again on what sounds like a great shooter  ;D

Hope ur Texas family is doing well and gotten some relief from the previous wildfires!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 06:19:02 pm »
  It takes me over 20 days in most cases 20 months if it's mine. Stop hurrying 10 years ago or was it 15.  I only work on bows when my heart and minds into it. I don't have much mind left thats why it takes me so long.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 07:58:21 pm »
Way to go!!! Let's see some pics.  ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 10:00:43 pm »
Congratulations!  Feels great eh.   I tend to think we learn the most from the once we break.  You got yer self a good bit of education on those first two!  And that is a success as well.  yep... like the others I would say it's time to start another one!  Oh yeah post some pics!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline nyarrow

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 10:32:15 pm »
Truth be told I have had 3 successful bows to date. I have also had 3 failures  1. was my first ever attempt (expected) 2. & 3. were backed bows (not expected) Consequently, it was a great feeling to get another success under the belt though! I'm not going to lie, it is rough, ugly and very plain but it will certainly fling an arrow where I want!