Author Topic: squirrel hunting from a canoe  (Read 5042 times)

Offline recurve shooter

squirrel hunting from a canoe
« on: October 06, 2011, 09:47:37 am »
THIS IS AWSOME! first time i tried it, obviously no one els had the idea cuz these little buggers act like they have never been shot at. a few mornings ago i went and paddled around for a few hours, killed 5 in like an hour, which is awsome because 2 days before, my dad, best friend, sister and i only killed 7 all togeather all weekend.  ;D i wonder if deer hunting from a canoe is that easy?

oh, and shooting a scoped bolt action .22 from a canoe at moving rats will deffinitly improve your marksmanship skills....or make you throw your gun in the water and go home.  ::)
lets just shoot it

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: squirrel hunting from a canoe
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 09:50:58 am »
It's been years ago, but I've drifted down a creek squirrel hunting...definitely is a lot of fun. Saw a lot of different game and wildlife.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 02:11:03 pm »
Grab a bow next time if you really want some fun.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 10:57:17 pm »
I have made several squirrel canoe trips, hunting with various weapons. Most fun was with a flintlock smooth bore. Most always see squirrels and they get close. Deer will often stand and let you pass by. Had a deer get into the creek and paddle along behind us at about 50 yards. It followed for about 100 yards and we turned and started paddling towards it. It went to the bank and walked away, but kept looking back. It was a young deer so we thought it may have mistaken us for it's mom??? Squirrels will sometimes sink like a rock when they hit the water, but most will float for a few minutes. So get to them fast. I just love floating creeks, it's like silently traveling through a new world, if you are really looking at everything.
You got me wanting to go again, Thanks.. :)

There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 12:04:44 am »
I've done the same with my kayak and like everybody else said, you wouldn't believe how close you can drift up on game. It is relaxing, and quiet.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 12:44:32 am »
id love to do it with a smoke pole. if i ever get my little percussion .38 cal rifle up and running again.  ;D

we didnt see any deer, or anything but squirrels actualy. but its a totaly different hunt. they dont see a canoe as a threat, then, when you shoot and miss (which i do way to much) they dont realy know whats going on.

i realy enjoy it, a friend and i got four more this afternoon, going again in the morning.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 12:47:37 am »
you should make it set up like one of those old sailing warships and have the side covered with guns, so all you do is go into an area with lots of squirrels and set them off >:D
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 02:45:26 pm »
In Texas I think you can hunt from a boat as long as you are not on public water or shooting onto public land.

Growing up in NH, there were a lot of guys who hunted from canoes but I also heard horror stories about bullets bouncing off the water and injuring other hunters.  Who knows...?  I think it sounds like a great way to hunt! ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 04:46:37 pm »
Used to do it with my dad several years ago and would really load up on the bushy tails.  The rivers and creeks we'd float had pretty steep banks, so it was best to carry an old gun you didn't mind using to help pull you up and a good pair of boots.  Still float a fair bit, but mostly for ducks now.  Early in the season you can get pretty close to them, but they get educated quick.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis