Author Topic: Backing with Artificial Sinew  (Read 12350 times)

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
Backing with Artificial Sinew
« on: October 05, 2011, 02:19:23 am »
Hi guys its me again. So I don't have the real stuff, not yet anyway, and I was wanting some advice on backing my bows with some artificial sinew. It comes prewaxed and I was wondering if I needed to find a way to wash that wax off or just glue it on with titebond. Advice on this please.
Plays With Bow and Arrow

TurtleCreek

Re: Backing with Artificial Sinew
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 03:22:32 am »
  You would probably be better off backing with combed flax and get more protection for the back of your bow than if you used artificial sinew.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 03:25:49 am »
  What kind of bow do you plan on building?

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 04:41:13 am »
If I remember right artificial sinew is made from nylon. Which had a lot of stretch. So I'd find something like flax or trade for sinew on the trade board here. Good luck. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 07:41:53 am »
get some burlap or some paper bag or some building paper, use paper sheetrock tape, if you half to use a backer use most anything but art sinew, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 08:45:33 am »
I guess you could use it but there are a lot better options. :) so why would you want to. I would save it for sewing up leather projects. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 11:13:55 am »
Linen cloth or silk cloth.  You don't have to necessarily buy it new.  Go to a second hand store and find something linen like pants or a tablecloth and use it.  You may be surprised at what you find in there.
1’—>1’

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 02:06:47 pm »
I second parnell. Linen cloth makes a very nice backing, and is very quick and easy to apply as well as pretty safe, as long as you don't go too heavy in draw weight. Stay 55# and under to be safe. You have to make sure it is 100% linen though. The other stuff will stretch and brake. I buy my stuff at Joann Fabrics. About 15 bucks a yard or so, but 2 yards will make maybe 10 - 15 bows or more, probably more. One thing that has to be stressed that does not get mentioned too often is you have to find out which way the linen is stretchy and which way it is not. It will be a safer stronger and less sluggish backing if you do this. I think it just depends of the way it is made and the way the strands are woven together. It's easy to find out, just take you bit of linen and pull it length wise, then pull it width wise, the way it stretches least is the way you put on your bow. It is actually easier to see this when you have a good amount, like a couple yards, as the stretchy way will stretch alot and the non-stretchy way won't barely stretch at all.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline randman

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 03:34:14 pm »
The other problem with art sinew you already know about - the wax! no glue will stick to it (superglue a little). Anybody having luck with gluing art sinew please comment. I know some guys here use it on fletching with super glue with success but I haven't had good luck yet. On the other hand, you can make cables for a cable-backed bow and I've read it works real good because of the stretch. Similar stretch to real sinew. And you don't need glue to tie it on.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 04:11:12 pm »
I've put decorative bands of artificial sinew on bows.  I use Barge cement to glue them down with no problem.

Offline WolfPupTee

• The Artis Den
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 08:09:45 pm »
Yeah the wax seems like a real pain in the butt so I'll probably save this stuff for my dreamcatchers lol. I forgot that I have a silk beginners karate belt that's incredibly long and white and I'll use that when I'm ready. Thanks guys. But if anyone has actually use the stuff please let me know.
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 09:31:50 pm »
 Silk karate beginners belts are usually polyester like your artificial sinew or cotton if they are good ones from Japan. I always bought the cheapest for beginners, had to keep the cost down to get them in the door 8).  And, if you cut up your Obi it's a sacrilege :o 8).  Go to the Goodwill or Salvation Army and pick up some silk ties for about a $1, or like someone else said, go to the grocery store and when they ask, "plastic or paper" tell them to double bag it. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline WolfPupTee

• The Artis Den
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 10:58:40 pm »
Really? Why in the world are so many things made of polyester? The brown paper part of cardboard boxes I guess... but I'm going to take a look at my old belts anyway.
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 12:12:28 am »
Artificial sinew does not work as a bow backing. Trust me on this.

Offline WolfPupTee

• The Artis Den
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 04:33:29 pm »
I will trust you. It doesn't feel like it will work and you're always supposed to trust your instincts.
Plays With Bow and Arrow