Author Topic: Couple more "micro" heads  (Read 8928 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Couple more "micro" heads
« on: September 27, 2011, 11:09:48 am »
Here are two points I fiddled with yesterday...man these points can get small in a hurry.  Still struggling to get my flakes to travel long enough to reduce the thickness of the point, hopefully that will come in time.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Tower

Re: Couple more "micro" heads
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 11:40:10 am »
Heck, them are not bad. The two smallest points I've found are 1/2 inch & 7/16 inch long complete. I've no idea what they were used on.  Setting up good platforms & remembering your centerline might help your flakes travel better.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 11:46:07 am »
Very nice frosted flakes 8)  Is that some of my rock??
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 12:02:21 pm »
thanks Tower...I'm kinda running blind here on this end, just experimenting and learning as I go, I'd kill for some 1 on 1 tutorial.

Sorry Pebbles, all this rock is some smaller flakes a guy sent me a while back...I have to figure out how to best spall some of that rock you sent so I don't ruin a bunch of it.
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 01:13:38 pm »
Lookin' good Lee.  Keep it up.  I went through a bout a 10 day droll, but am coming out of it a little now.  I made one decent point last night after breaking an other preform in half.  I'm haveing trouble thinning w/o reducing thickness too.  I'm just gonna keep @ it and check out the vids that John is posting when I can.  I've got the same mark on my thumb from purcussion flaking.  :D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 11:51:22 pm »
Heck ...haft a couple of those up on some arras for this Saturday.  I squeaked out a small one incher head last night. My work isn't looking much better but im learning. I hear ya about having some one on one in person instruction. Its amazing how you can lose all sense of time busting a stupid rock too...lol.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 12:22:24 am »
Thanks Bud, I may haft up the other "rootbeer" colored glass one as it is larger and weighs a bit more than either of these two BUT I have no clue how to begin notching in some grooves so I can haft one.  Yes, time really does fly...and man do these little flakes and chips end up everywhere  ;D  Found some in my bed last night and NO clue where they came from  ::)

We need to twist Matt's arm to help arrange a MIJam where we can get a few primitive folks gathered to work on bows, arrows, stone heads and heck, maybe even some stretching and dehairing of some deer hides for rawhide.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 09:10:42 am »

We need to twist Matt's arm to help arrange a MIJam where we can get a few primitive folks gathered to work on bows, arrows, stone heads and heck, maybe even some stretching and dehairing of some deer hides for rawhide.

Yuppers....bending wood during the day and breaking rock at night into the wee hours of the morning with my fellow michigander buddies sounds good to me. Sign me up...where do I sign?maybe I can drag a couple of these western pennsyltucky boys up there with me. Heck even if its only a half dozen to a dozen guys I don't care

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 02:56:34 pm »
Lee, i'm thinking we need to hook up for some knappin at some point before i get outa this country. I have rock and my tools with me but am blasting off for tx tomorrow. I'll let ya know when i'm back in. Maybe sit on the riverbank and break rock while fishing one eve, we'll see. Good start ya got there by the way..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 03:01:05 pm »
I agree Chris!  I'll have to work on putting something together.

Hey Cowboy that sounds great to me, have a safe trip and give me a shout when you are back up this way. 
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold