Author Topic: Getting started  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Kpete

Getting started
« on: September 27, 2011, 04:53:04 pm »
Howdy all,
A recent post by Juniper Junkie in another forum got me ruminating about making arrow points.  Any thoughts on how to start, reference material. 
 I live in Buffalo, WY so if there is a knapper nearby, he might give me a shout.
I must confess, I have always used steel broadheads!  Is there hope for me?
there are rocks everywhere here, so surely there is something to knap.
Thanks in advance,
KPete

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Getting started
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 05:35:10 pm »
kpete, Spend a little time checking this site out.  Check out iowabows new post on fk101.  Get you a deer tine or a tappered broomstick w/ 1 1/4" of copper grounding wire sticking out the end, twisted off in a drill or filled down to a dull point, a leather palm pad and a few wine bottle bottoms and your started.  Maybe find a round stone or an antler butt too. Get started now, find the rock later.  Hope this helps ya, there's tons of info and tips and begginer-advanced pictures, plenty enough to get you going in the direction of successful knapping.  Derik Gratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 05:48:43 pm »
Hey Pete, i'm sure there's something knappable out that way. Not sure exactly where or what but like Derik already said you can use bottle bottoms or most any kind of glass to get started. Look up paleomanjim on youtube - he's good. A good book to get ya started would be The Art of Flintknapping by D.C. Waldorf.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 11:58:45 pm »
Do some google searches as well...like lithics in Wyoming.

And let's not forget the old johnstone....excuse me I gotta go to the bathroom.  :laugh:

Offline Kpete

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 12:43:47 pm »
Thanks.  I have the antler and copper road-from dressing flints for flintlock.  I have some leather around the house.  A couple of moose and elk sheds are in the garage.   How to acquire the wine bottles?  Hmmm. 
Thanks again.  I went to the library and found a book by Whittaker on knapping and have TTBB. 
KPete

Offline Kpete

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 09:53:43 pm »
Thanks again.  I watched some paleomanjim's u-tubes.  Good stuff.