Author Topic: flint ridge 2 tools  (Read 1775 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
flint ridge 2 tools
« on: September 18, 2011, 08:38:55 am »
got this little knife from spalling out this turtle back. main goal was to use one rock. you can see on the one pic of the biface where the turtle back was and how it stacked up a bit. after reducing i made one pass on both sides with the antler to remove deltas and get a decent little knife blade. really trying to perfect my hammerstone technique now and im pretty happy with this piece. been making a lot of rubble though lately. seems like when using hammerstones i either get lucky or destroy the rock. not gonna quit untill i get it though.  ;D

turtleback

biface

blade with tools

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline iowabow

Re: flint ridge 2 tools
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 08:47:55 am »
This is a great knife.  I have not done a lot of abo but that one look real nice. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline jamie

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 09:01:29 am »
thanks john. not my prettiest piece but i  am very happy with it because i lost very little if any length from the original chunk. im also starting to get away from the mind set that every piece i make has to be flawless. actually prefer a stack or hinge in it. makes it look like the originals. sharp and pointy
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 11:54:43 am »
Awesome blade Jamie.  Looks like you been using that rock a lot.  I've got one that is just barely showing some grooves.  Always in the ol' knappin' truck arn't cha.  ;D  Sweet blade!!
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 08:25:53 pm »
Jamie, I can never get thin flakes with hammerstone. I always get deep ugly flakes. I still use small ones roughing pieces out, but still. When I got to drive a flake, I get deep flakes with bulbs. I'm still trying. I use them a lot early in the game when taking a deep chunk doesn't matter.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 10:14:42 pm »
thats a great knife jamie...it looks like you where chipping in your truck..john

Offline jamie

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 07:45:24 am »
thanks guys. justin , platform prep is quite different with hammers. much heavier. all the rules we know about flake travel need to be followed when using a hammerstone. convexity needs to be built up with small series of blending flakes before overshot or even normal flakes occur. jim winn has a great video on hard hammers you should check out.

waterbury, ct

JustinNC

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 10:38:04 am »
thanks guys. justin , platform prep is quite different with hammers. much heavier. all the rules we know about flake travel need to be followed when using a hammerstone. convexity needs to be built up with small series of blending flakes before overshot or even normal flakes occur. jim winn has a great video on hard hammers you should check out.

I've watched them. One other thing I thought about last night that never really occured to me was, I intend to strike with the lower part of the stone, and the middle section (part that sticks out most on a round stone) strikes high before the part I intend to strike with hits first.

I found some basalt hammer stones, I love them. I just need to get more consistant with them. I love them for taking off hard to get off flakes that had poor platforms,  while using antler.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 09:11:24 pm »
Oh, I thought you were using flint ridge flint and this was number two in a series ;D. Knife did turn out nice - goodun!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.