Author Topic: Hazle and Dogwood (my first REAL arrows)  (Read 6148 times)

Offline Holten101

Hazle and Dogwood (my first REAL arrows)
« on: September 14, 2011, 06:17:59 am »
I have been making bows for a while now, so this summer I decided to take the chalenge up a notch and make some shoot arrows.

I have gone though a few dozent shoot shafts to get to two matching sets. And I must say that im suprized how much work making arrows is compared to turning out selfbows...I have come to the conclusion that I will rather make 3 bows than three matching arrows;-).

The Hazle arrows (to the right in the picture) are 570 grains with 125 grs points, turkey feathers fastend with waxed thread (no glue), finish is beeswax.

The Dogwood arrows (left) weight in at 720 grains with 125 rs points, peacock feathers (not as duable as turkey or goose). Heavy arrows I know...but man they are tough:-).

I have cheated with the points...those are bought AND glued on:-(...but I had no alternative.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:21:49 am by Holten101 »

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: Hazle and Dogwood (my first REAL arrows)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 07:45:09 am »
That is as good as it gets ;) im still gluing feathers and using plastic knocks  :-\ great job!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

FAW

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 10:22:41 am »
My complements, Holten. I had the pleasure of watching a demonstration by a craftsman preparing a dogwood shaft and he ended up presenting it to me as a finished shaft. I must say I am impressed with these shafts - I still have to make it into an arrow yet, but it seems heavy ( without point yet ), nice complete taper and hard. The best part is it is from dogwood which apparently is common to my area, if I can ever get someone to show me what the bush looks like. And, Yes, it certainly appears to be a lot of work straightening them but what an exhilarating feeling it must be to actually complete one or more of them into a shootable arrow. I know I feel honoured to have this one shaft - I'm sure it is going to lead to others. Thanks for the post.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 12:29:24 pm »
Nice looking arrows.  You're a heck of a craftsman if those are you first arrows.  If your first arrows look that sweet,...you got any selfbows you're wanting to part with?  ;D  Seriously.  ;)

Great job, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 12:17:52 am »
Nice arrows!  I love dogwood.  The variety I have around here is Red Osier, which is easy to identify and makes fantastic arrow shafts.  Shoot arrows are definitely a lot of work to straighten, but worth the effort in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing  :)
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 12:59:42 am »
I have not made hazel arrows yet but have made quite a few red osier dogwood arrows. It makes very good arrows.  My favorite shoot wood is sourwood, a local understory tree. Shoot shafts are as tough as it gets. You can reduce the physical weight somewhat by reducing the diameter of the forward 1/3 to 1/2 of the shaft with a thumb plane.  I use mine on almost every shoot shaft I make.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 10:28:47 am »
  I agree it dose take a lot longer to make arrow than people think. My favorit is and has been for years is dogwood. I made my first hazzle shoot arrows this summer. They make nice arrows but a really solf wood. But thats what I've been shooting for a couple months. I used elemers wood harder this helped some. Email me and I'll tell you howI've make arrow sanding blocks these really help out.
  Those are nice arrows lots of sanding.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PeteC

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 11:15:48 am »
Beautiful arrows.Good job. God bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 06:30:16 pm »
Great job especially for your first.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 02:43:30 am »
If those are your first ones, I can't wait to the the next few ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2