Author Topic: duplex nail points in hardwood shafts???  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Dazv

duplex nail points in hardwood shafts???
« on: September 17, 2011, 03:22:21 pm »
Hello again guys :D

So ive been looking into duplex points for bamboo shafts. So what im asking is do you think it is possible to wrap then drill out a hole for a duplex point?

thanks alot
darren

Offline markinengland

Re: duplex nail points in hardwood shafts???
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 04:36:26 pm »
Duplex nails in bamboo works. I bound the ends of mine but perhaps binding isn't needed if a good epoxy glue is used. I'm sure I've seen duplex nails in bamboo without binding.

A friend of mine has drilled hazel and dogwood and glued something similar in and they worked very well without binding.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 04:47:05 pm »
Here is what I use for hardwood shoots. It is a rectangular piece of saw blade with one end shaped to a point. I haft them on to a hardwood shaft just like with a trade point and wrap behind the head with sinew. I glued it in with TBIII glue. About 1/2" or so behind the point 2 indentations were made in the metal corresponding to a groove around the shaft for the sinew wrap.

the points gor the cane are 16d common nails with a blob of brasing added to the head then chucked in a drill and tapered with a file.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:47:25 pm »
 You need to wrap the bamboo before you drill it. If you don't it will split the sides out.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dazv

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 04:53:43 pm »
thats for that guys i like that idea pat-b now the real challange were to get duplex nails in the uk

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 05:07:13 pm »
Duplex nails are made to be removed and are used for building scafolding and bracing. Check out your local hardware store, lumber yard or building supply store.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 05:18:09 pm »
Dazv, check out places that have concrete supplies. They are made to tie string lines off and laying out straight lines for building walls and brick laying.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dazv

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 06:04:53 pm »
cheers lads ill check it out most of my family are builders and joiners so i dont think i will be to hard