Author Topic: hickory snake  (Read 1731 times)

Offline butch

hickory snake
« on: September 13, 2011, 04:29:30 pm »
while hang stand this morning i found a snakey hickory sapling 3 inch base , 74 long 2 inch at top.   got the bark, split,painted.  should make 2 staves if i reverse one. handle will be about 20 degrees to the right with most snake in one limb. sorry no camera. one limb curves toward me about 4 inches . should i steam it out now or dry heat later. also major bug damage about 1/8 deep under the cambrium , about 25% of the back, please confirm if i need to remove this and chase a ring. do it now or wait till seasoned. is it ok to season in the hot box about 95 degrees.    tie it to a 2x4 to help prevent warp ??? hope this makes sence to you folks cause im confused.  butch

Offline Dazv

Re: hickory snake
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 04:44:38 pm »
the bugs were eating green wood???? Yep id chase a ring as soon as to stop those bugs going any further.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 05:12:57 pm »
If you live in a land flowing with milk n honey n bow wood(lol)...then id toss that into the firepile and go harvest another one. I personally wont waste my time chasing a ring in a questionable piece of whitewood and try to salvage a bow out of it when I have plenty o other wood around me to cut. Especially if its a small sapling n only worth one bow. Maybe...

But to each his own. Its just my personal opinion.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 05:18:58 pm »
I kinda agree with Blackhawk. For that small of a pole you won't have much wood to work with if you have to get below the bugs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 05:40:50 pm »
If not a bow, maybe a walking stick?

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline butch

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:34:34 pm »
thanks guys. always got honey, outa milk but i have hundreds of bow thickets around , next time i wont split a sapling, the knots on one side leave a hollow spot on the other stave. not enough wood on either one. it allready twisted 90 degrees. i was excited about a rare hickory snake and didnt think it thru. gee, we heat the house with wood (4ricks) so i found the silver linning on this one. thanks again,  butch