Author Topic: question about black locust  (Read 3280 times)

Stringman

Re: question about black locust
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 10:32:09 pm »
Thats right fishfinder, but it is considered a "yellow wood" kinda in the same family as mulberry and osage. While their colors do vary between the species, all three have a distinctive sapwood/heartwood contrast. Ive been working with black locust for a few years now and trying figure it out. Ive had some awful failures and tried some glue-ups that failed. Still got some nice straight staves laying around so im gonna keep tryin till i figure it out.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 11:52:25 pm »
well..... i learn something new all the time :), now that i think of it, the bark does look similar
thanks
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Qwill

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 12:08:42 am »
Black Locust is an amazing wood. I have made several simple D-Bows out of it, and they shoot fast. They've held up well, too, despite some minor violations of the back ring due to poor ring-chasing efforts. Actually, BL is way harder to ring-chase than Mulberry or Osage. Go slowly, with short strokes to avoid pulling up splinters from the ring below. A flat cross-section is best, and it is a lively wood that seems to heat treat well. I Love the stuff. As far as identification, the bark is dark and gnarly, with deep furrows. There are great identification guides online. Honey Locust has smother, grayish bark, and the seed pods are easy to spot, like huge, brown string-beans. I don't believe the two trees are actually related. Black Locust is more closely related to Koa and the Accacias (I think). In my experience, the sapwood ring thickness depends more on how fast (i.e. how much water and fertilizer) the sapling is growing, than how big around it is. Trees about the size of a stovepipe are perfect, but a little tough to split.