Author Topic: Sanding the nodes of bamboo bellies?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Sanding the nodes of bamboo bellies?
« on: September 10, 2011, 02:25:13 pm »
Is it advisable to sand the nodes of bamboo intended to be used on a belly?  I realized that If I want to make bamboo sandwiches . . .  I need to rebuild my forms which I would rather not do ust at the moment.

One bowyer I know suggested that this is the way to go.

thanks,
PB

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
Re: Sanding the nodes of bamboo bellies?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 05:09:23 pm »
i have built many boo back and belly bows,, my goal is to not sand any on the surface of the belly or back,, if your lams or core is tillered sufficiently,, there is no need to sand the surfaces,, the only sanding i do is on the edges of the bow and when i trap the bamboo .. to drop the poundage  ,you can narrow up the bow  and (or) trap the edges of the bamboo  more..  James

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Sanding the nodes of bamboo bellies?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 07:58:36 pm »
Trap?

I think it I blew it on my long bow.  3rd time.  I switched to Urac 185 and didn't realize it dosent cure if all wraped up in shrink wrap. 

My past bows were shrink wrapped to keep the glue from coming out then clamped to the form. 

SO I'm looking at my forms and realized that they are likley backwards if I want to make the boo sandwich bows then it hit me.  There are a few styles I could do with a "backwards form".    The bamboo would go end to end on both sides.  I think I can make a "my version" of the Mirkwood bow in LOTR.  Minus the frilly ends.  Ok not that similar, but still a deep reflex deflex bow with bamboo on front and back.  Narrow core  lams.

OH so you pre tiller the inside laminations then assemble the bow.  Afterward then you only work the sides?