Author Topic: Can this be done? New type of tip.  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Can this be done? New type of tip.
« on: September 02, 2011, 04:45:16 am »
Hi,

I'm not a knapper.  No real interest BUT I can apreciate it.  I had an idea for a head I'd like to get made for fishing.  It's either a long diamond profile or a cylander.  There needs to  be a hole bored up the center.  And a small hole through the side.  Ultimately I want to make a "slip tip" but for arrows.  The arrow shaft has a narrow metal extension that slides up the hole on the head.  A teather is tied through the cross hole and secures to the arrow shaft with a little slack.  The base of the tip has a single flange that catches after penetration and lets the tip slide off and turn sidewayse. 

I've done some polespearing for fish and these come back out pretty easily and don't loose fish.  Kinda like this.
austinsdiving.com/proddetail.php?prod=T011

I'm working up to building a shortie that I can shoot from my Kayak. . . . like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g07TLllL8Y.  But a primative head would be sweet.

I could make it in antler but stone would be nicer.  Could I use a belt sander to shape the stone?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:10:46 am by Justin Snyder »

Offline aaron

Re: Can this be done? New type of tip.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 01:37:25 pm »
it's called a toggling harpoon head. you could surely make one out of stone if you had the right tools, but it would be alot of work and the result would be fragile. Bone or antler would be much easier to carve and drill.
http://www.google.com/search?q=toggling+harpoon+head&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1600&bih=674
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 06:08:13 pm »
Sounds interesting. I suppose you could bore a hole through flint with a diamond bit but i'd have to side with aaron - bone or antler would make more sense.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 06:48:12 pm »
Stone can be used as it can be made long narrow and barbed but as mentioned if uwant it to be more durable...as u might hit something hard like a rock or stump and the tip break...making bone points was widely used especially in the absense of flint... I know the inuits used bone fishing spears as well as various Native american tribes who used it bow fishing.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 01:31:30 am »
Thanks for the link!

Looks like the way to go is the use both bone and flint.  A regular flint blade set into the bone which is detachable part.

So next question is where does a non napper get small thin flints for that and what do they run?

Thanks,
Scott

Offline WOODSLORE

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 07:44:45 pm »
Also some tribes made a bone or antler "ferule" that was sloted and a stone point mounted in it. When it made contact the bone/antler would pop off the dart/arrow.
Paleo arts are a long sent gift from our ancestors.

If primitive meant dumb......none of us would have been born!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 05:11:25 am »
Yea yea... so where do I get some tiny flint heads?

Offline Newbow

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 01:29:16 pm »
"Yea yea... so where do I get some tiny flint heads?"

Micro points are ordinarily made by striking blades from flint/chert or obsidian but, since it appears you don't know a local knapper, the simplest solution would be locate some broken glass and pick out suitable slivers to fit the bone or antler point you already made.  You could glue them in with just about anything, but using something like pine pitch would allow for relatively easy replacement of lost or broken bladelets.  Good luck with your project

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 02:48:35 am »
No no, you aren't following me.  I am interested in buying some flint inserts from someone.  It's Adam Smith man.  I can't do it all. . . well have no interest in doing it all. 

Actualy I found a pretty neat rock in my landscaping that would make a few neat ones.

I set aside a piece of antler for the project.  My issue is that I want low drag on puncure.  Small hole.  Maybee the size of a muzzy head minus the two barbs.  I actualy eat some of the fish I shoot.  I used to harpoon (pole spear) them and the huge hole + metal cable shreds allot of meat (buffalo carp are excelent smoked and the Asian guys make wonderful grilled fish tacos).  The tip I'd need would be maybe 3/8"wide?  3/4" long?  I can work the bone and steel.  I guess I could just cut pieces out of a circular saw blade but I like the idea of a stone or glass head. 

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 09:17:05 am »
I'm having trouble visualizing what you're after.  PM me and tell me exactly what you want.  I'm a great knapper, but I like to try new stuff.  I'd rather trade than sell though.  If it needs notches I might not be your guy... :-[

George
St Paul, TX