Author Topic: Hornbeam Question  (Read 1535 times)

Offline jhutch65

Hornbeam Question
« on: September 02, 2011, 11:45:18 am »
Hi all, Have a quick question for any who have experience working with Hornbeam (also known as Blue Beach) NOT HHB!.  I have a couple good pieces, but they may make better billets than staves.  The tree was knocked down in the hurricane here out east and I cut it yesterday.  I have never used the wood for anything other than a small project many many years afo (not a bow) and am curious as if it would make good bow wood and if it would need to be backed and what backing would be good.

Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

blackhawk

Re: Hornbeam Question
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 12:50:36 pm »
I have made a bow from american hornbeam. I also call it muscelwood.

#1. Remove bark asap with it,because of the undulations along the bows back. Its a pain to try and scrape that off when its been cemented to the stave.

#2. Id seal the back to be safe.

#3. Once dry,make a bow and follow that muscley grain. Its a tough resilient wood for sure and will make you a fine character laden bow.

Use the same dimensions as you wood for hophornbeam,dense maple,or hickory and you'll be good to go. No need to back it. Although id like to sinew back one sometime in the future.

I have photos of mine if you wood like to see it. Let me know. Id be glad to post em for ya

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 01:10:00 pm »
jh,
    I've used both hornbeams, live in Northern Michigan and here it is all called Ironwood with out differentiating the 2 kinds. All our wood in this area is really dense and hard cause of the bad winters. I've used both fully quartersawn boards and here lately some seasoned staves/saplings and even a piece of "slab-wood".....makes a fine bow about anyway ya want to go about it.....
   I have noticed though that any species of wood has big differences in densities from one part of the country to another.....so keep in mind the wood I use is really tight ringed and dense.
rich

Offline jhutch65

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 01:38:59 pm »
Thank you both for the info!  I will be removing the bark this weekend along with splitting it and sealing it properly so it can dry.  The one piece is about 4 inches in diameter and 50 inches, the second is about 36 inches and tapers from 4 to about 3 1/2 inches.  The first piece has almost no knots, maybe a few pin knots but nothing more.  The second is a bit more knotty but not overly so.  Both will make an interseting challenge.

Thanks again!

Offline bcbull

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 06:42:20 pm »
HHB MAKES A HECK OF A BOW I LOVE IT BUT IM GONNA WARN U NOW WHEN U GET THE BARK OFF U CHECK THE GRAIN IF IT S WRILY LIKE A BABRBER POLE FORGET IT FIND ANOTHER THE DANG STUFF IS NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO WORK IF IT IS  GOOD STRIGHT GRAIN HHB IS HARD TO FIND  GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY BROCK