Author Topic: first recurve, major splinters on the belly what should i do  (Read 1863 times)

Offline blades7558

first recurve, major splinters on the belly what should i do
« on: August 30, 2011, 11:43:26 am »
I have a sweet gum stave  that I steam vent into mild recurves and I noticed that they pulled out without me even tillering despite leaving it on the forms for a day. I recur the forms for a more aggressive recurve and tried bending with heat due to poor weather.  I left the tips thick and wide. 1 inch thick by 1.5 wide I scraped away the splinters from the steaming.
I think I had it hot enough the wood steamed when I put a wet rag on it. I belive I heated for about 30 minutes also.
Basically where did I go wrong and what's the best way to fix it? Ill post pictures later. The one split goes through a couple of growth rings :(
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: first recurve, major splinters on the belly what should i do
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:49:49 am »
I make the big bend with steam, then I put the dry heat to it while on the form to seal the deal. Some pulls out, but very little. A good rule for steam is no less than 1 hour per inch of thickness, no less.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 12:53:30 pm »
Blades,
      I do all my bending with steam. I believe your problem was the limb tip thickness, since I started to work a little with staves (been all quartersawn up till now) I have found that 1" thick just dont want to bend, and if ya do manage to get some it will straighten right back out. I've been working with Ironwood, for what that's worth.
     If you get your rough-out closer to finished dimensions I think your bends will be easier (on you and the wood) and will hold, at least that's been my experience so far. The higher the crown (small dia. stave) the less it wants to hold a bend.  Hope that helps a little
rich

Offline blades7558

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 01:42:05 pm »
Thanks, that makes sense that they are to thick. I think the crown was smallish.. now should I water down some wood glue and put it in the crack

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 02:00:29 pm »
I would warm the surface up and put CA glue on the crack. It will thin up from the warm wood and flow down in. If the crack is removed during thinning and shaping, its a good thing. If not, the CA glue will hold strong.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline blades7558

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 05:20:36 pm »
Thanks! I hope the crack isn't to deep  :)