Author Topic: To Glue Leather use...  (Read 2430 times)

Offline johnston

To Glue Leather use...
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:05:23 am »
What do you fellers use to glue leather pieces stacked on top of each other ? Like bubby did on that osage bow he posted recently.

Thanks.

Lane

Offline lowell

Re: To Glue Leather use...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:13:32 am »
I make a small shelf with a few pieces and use super glue.
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 11:46:02 am »
I've used contact cement, TB glues and super glue. All work well!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 12:04:41 pm »
Crazy glue worked good for me.  It soaks in and stiffens the leather a bit, and makes it work almost like wood.  I did a similar handle on my trade bow before wrapping it.  I used some of that stretchy bandage-wrap stuff over the leather to give the grip a bit of padding, it turned out to be quite comfortable in the hand.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 12:41:50 pm »
Contact cement or CA glue for me, but I would just about any glue that was close by!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 02:12:43 pm »
Contact cement or CA glue for me, but I would just about any glue that was close by!

Wow, you are such a Purist PD  ;)  >:D
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 02:50:41 pm »
Thanks guys. Cam I like the padding idea(and the Strunk inspired wrap).

Has anyone used layered leather for the grip itself? I have my 10th bow ready to shoot in and while it ain't nothing special I wanted to try a different kind of handle grip.
Figured to layer shaped leather then rough it up a bit with a file. Add salt and pepper to taste etc, etc..

Whatcha think ?

Lane

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 02:57:32 pm »
I've used laminated leather for handle risers on bow that bend in the handle. Works very well.
  If you seal the leather with super glue like Cam has you can work it with a file or rasp just like working wood. The glue doesn't penetrate all the way through so you may have to add more super glue if you rasp through it.  Super glue saturated leather also makes cool looking tip overlays too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 07:42:30 am »
Lane, on most of the lam leather i use rubber cement, but i used tb11 on the last bow posted, shaped it with a sanding disc on a 4" grinder, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹