Author Topic: Draw Length  (Read 5535 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Draw Length
« on: June 27, 2007, 01:18:56 am »
i was finishing up an arc board the other day and started thinking about something.  the arc board uses AMO draw length but i've been using "true draw length" measurements.  who out there uses which draw length??  there is a difference of between 1.5-1.75", with AMO being longer than true draw length.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Draw Length
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 01:25:11 am »
            Use what ya would call true draw length measured from back of bow ta string nock slot bottom............bob

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 02:01:08 am »
Who's AMO  ?? ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 02:17:19 am »
Archery Manufacturers Association (AMO)
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 03:59:41 pm »
ttt

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 04:21:49 pm »
I do as Bob does...from the back of the bow to the string.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DCM

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 05:18:08 pm »
If "true draw lenght" is a measure to the back of the bow, then it can't differ from AMO by 1.5" to 1.75".  The only measure that could vary to that degree is one to the belly, or deepest part of the grip, as one measures brace height.  Very little diff in my experience between AMO and the tried and true back of the arrow pass as most stiff "handles" are ~1.5" deep.  Exceptions of course for bendy handle bows but they too run at least 5/8" or better so the biggest diff might be 7/8" (ie. 1 3/4" - 5/8").  Don't imagine even 7/8" would make a dramatic diff on an "arc board," if I understand the meaning of that term.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 06:11:29 pm »
  The only measure that could vary to that degree is one to the belly, or deepest part of the grip, as one measures brace height. 
I guess that also depends on who measures brace height.  AMO has a rule there too. 

I like to measure draw length to the palm of the handle.  That allows me to get the draw weight the same as it would be if I were drawing it.  However, if you are drawing arcs on your board, I suggest they sit just above the back of the bow so you can see them while working.  Unless you have a 3 fingered hook on the end of the rope,to grab the string while tillering, you are wasting your time getting to dang picky.  ;D You are going to put pressure on 2" of the string when you draw it, not the 1/4" that the scale hook does.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah