Author Topic: dog bone backed sweetgum ?  (Read 2013 times)

Offline blades7558

dog bone backed sweetgum ?
« on: August 16, 2011, 10:58:54 pm »
Hi all its been a while since I posted here but fear not im still bending wood. I was wondering peoples feelings about a rawhide backed sweetgum. I realized that gum is a bad bow wood but I feel that's a good test of my skills, to are if I can make a good bow with bad wood :) I plan on making it around 45 lbs and a dog bone rawhide back just to keep splinters down. Plus it'll give me some experience in the backing world. Thanks for all criticism and comments!
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: dog bone backed sweetgum ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:54:47 am »
Will this be from a tree stave or board stave?   If from a tree, just peel the bark off (summer cut) for the best bow back .  Sweet gum has interlocking grain so breaking it is unlikely.
  Dog chew rawhide is pretty thick for a bow backing. It will work but the extra physical weight will make the cast more sluggish. If you thin it down it will work better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline blades7558

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 01:03:46 am »
Ok, I geuss I should save the backing for another bow :) I hope the cast on the gum is strong enough to keep from taking a set.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 12:20:54 pm »
I've never used gum for bows but I have heard of others using it.
  You will still have to thin the rawhide for any bow you add it to.   Try to find or make deer rawhide. It is thin and strong and makes a great backing!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline blades7558

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:20:41 pm »
I have some deer hide left over with the hair on... that would be interesting,  a fuzzy bow :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 08:31:28 pm »
Cold scrape the hair off or soak it in lye water until the hair slips then rince it and stretch it. You've got deer rawhide!