Author Topic: Heat Treat / Toasting Belly  (Read 6101 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Heat Treat / Toasting Belly
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 08:49:28 pm »
Mike As far as the resins and oils, " being in small quantities" I think it depends on the wood you are talking about as to the quantities. When you heat treat a bow properly you do it slow so it soaks deep into the wood is how I understand it so I would think the cells within are also being compressed, not just the surface. I will let Pat explain it him self as he knows allot more about the subject than I do. Maybe Marc st louis will chime in and give his spin on things too? He wrote a chapter in Tbb on heat treating.

Josh
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 08:54:38 pm by Elktracker »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 06:25:48 am »
Love these threads, so many points of view and the benefits are of great value...thank you all
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

mikekeswick

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 06:36:04 am »
Josh I understand what you are talking about. Take ipe as an example - absolutely full of resins yet when it's heat treated there is virtually no change in it's properties. Elm has virtually nothing in the way of oils in it yet excells when heat treated. Why does the belly become concave (starting flat) after treating? Something has to be 'leaving' the wood. If you get some resin and let it set it will become brittle and turn to powder when compressed. Also as I said before only the very surface of the belly is really 'working' so what happens inside the wood has no real effect on it's bending properties. If you get a chrysal anytime cut out the affected area and look at how deep the damage goes.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 06:42:37 pm »
Makes sense all good points Mike.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)