Author Topic: Buying stone?  (Read 1561 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Buying stone?
« on: August 04, 2011, 12:17:38 pm »
You guys buy stone or find it?  I had a friend tell me of a place to pick up some chert, so I did, big pcs., but they seem to have some fractures in them.  It had been used in an old logging road to fill in some low spots.  I showed my 7yr. old son how to use a folcrom(sp.) and we dug a book bag full of the stuff up.  Seems really tough, hoping to heat treat some this weekend and try again.  The reason for the post, though, is I was in an old antique store and they were selling chert and other rock that looked like it would knapp, but the chert was $8.50 a pound, it was beautiful, but I thought that was kinda expensive.  Any comments?

Thanks, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline jonathan creason

Re: Buying stone?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 12:33:31 pm »
Seeing as how the only choices I have here in NC are ryolite and quartz I buy or trade for most of mine.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:51:11 pm »
You can find knapping material to buy online. $8.50 lb is way expensive. I go to a lot of places where i can pick it up so don't buy anymore.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 01:24:08 pm »
Sometimes the best way to get chert is to buy it, but anything over $3.50 a pound is what I would call "pricey".  At $8.50 a pound I'd rather buy a good steak.  I get mine for $1.50 to $2.50 a pound from the guys at my local knapp-in.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 04:50:26 pm »
Oh I haven't bought any.  I was just wondering.  Thanks for the replys guys. 

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 07:21:30 pm »
You are looking at tourist trap prices, buy from a knapper and you will get Walmart prices.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 09:34:33 pm »
Justin, You got that right.  I thought this store went under years ago, but when I passed by the other day the open sign was up.  The old man had died and his daughter and wife were running the place now.  They always had high prices.  Thanks for the replys guys, dpg

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 10:18:32 am »
 I'm looking to restock my rock pile soon and know a few places near that you could come with and pick your own. I'll wait till it cools off and before all the leaves fall. I'll give you some notice, probably a SAT/Sun

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 12:04:42 pm »
Sounds good Tracy.  You got my ##?