Author Topic: Removing old sealer?  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Will H

Removing old sealer?
« on: December 08, 2011, 02:20:25 pm »
I just got some great POC shafts in a trade. I'm wanting to do a two tone stain on them and make some fancy arrows. My question is since they are already sealed is this still an option? Is there a trick to getting the old sealer off? I'm new at this arrow making game so any input would be greatly appreciated :)
~Will
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Removing old sealer?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 03:10:25 pm »
If you are just trying to remove a clear sealer I'd sand it lightly and reseal over that then add crown dip and cresting if thats what you want.  If they have been crowned and crested you could sand most of that off and go over the top with new finish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 03:17:21 pm »
Thanks Pat. So if I want to stain the the arrow with some leather dye I should just sand off all the old sealer?
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 03:24:44 pm »
You will have to get all the old sealer off if you want to stain the wood. Be careful not to get into the wood too much with the sandpaper or you will change the spine.  You could paint over the old finish with just a light sanding to rough up the old finish. Use very fine sandpaper for this. I've used spray paint on arrow crowning with good results. Just tape off what you don't want sprayed and spray the rest.  You could paint the shaft one color and the crown a complimentary color. The old Bear Archery arrows were painted like this.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 03:29:32 pm »
Ok, thanks again Pat! That's just what I needed ;)
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 04:16:24 pm »
Depending on the sealer used you may be able get it cracked and just peel it off. Thats why I quit using gasket sealer, it peeled off all the time.................when I DIDNT want it to.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 06:06:53 pm »
Will,

I hit the shafts w/ some OO steel wool, stain them/dye them (I use leather dye), then get you some spray on ployurathane and put two or three coats on before fletching.  I've done that to almost 100 of those same shafts.  I used to not reseal, but then my riser plate would start taking on the color of my dye.  That seemed to be the only problem.  If you are cutting self nocks, I'd do all but wrap them before dying.  Get w/ me if you have any questions about them shafts.  Either on this post or in a PM.  I'll keep my eye on this thread for a couple of days.   ;)  Good Luck, dpgratz
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:31:31 pm by bowtarist »
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 10:01:49 pm »
Will, goe to the Hardware store and get some Jascoe Varnish & Stain remover. It will take off anything. I used it to strip an oak floor that has been down since 1957.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Will H

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 04:27:31 pm »
Thanks for the info you guys! Pearly- I know what you mean bout that sealer pealin off. Those ash shafts did that on me bad. What kind if gasket sealer was that?
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 06:14:51 pm »
It was the standard can from 3 rivers. I bought it from two placs and had the same problems. I apologize a million times over if your shafts did that. It wasnt my intentionto rip you off man. They looked solid to me. Usually I could tell the bad ones apart by the clarity of the finish. I have a raw batch of 23/64 tapered to 5/16. They are chundoo, 55-60. Will they work for your rig?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Will H

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 01:37:40 am »
I tried the Jascoe stuff Mulett. It worked perfectly!  ;D  Thanks alot man ;)
~Will
           Clarksville, Tennessee