Author Topic: Juniper? I think juniper is this a good or bad one  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Bow Nut

Juniper? I think juniper is this a good or bad one
« on: July 27, 2011, 02:59:21 pm »
Looks like juniper.  the things that look like cones are not they are like polin pods almost like dead flowers or somthing nedals are long and flat bark is some what smooth. 

TurtleCreek

Re: Juniper? I think juniper is this a good or bad one
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 03:30:16 pm »
  Going by the pics and your description and looking in the National Audobon Socitiey Field Guide to Trees, it looks alot like a Baldcypress

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 03:35:56 pm »
Its not a juniper. ALL junipers have berries, not cones. And there needles don't look like that either.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 03:46:35 pm »
good to know was not sure but they are not cones at all they are like flower pods of some type.  Is baldcypress any good or is it junk. 

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 06:58:52 pm »
Definitely not a juniper or baldcypress. It's Chinafir (Cunninghamia lanceolata,) an imported ornamental species. Its density is similar to pine or spruce, so I doubt if it would be a worthwhile bow wood. there are too many trees in GA that make excellent bows to fool with something like that.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 07:23:50 pm »
I second what Hillbilly said, exactly

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 12:21:33 pm »
thanks guys I will leave it the reason I asked is because a tree crew is cutting the down anyway and did not know if I should get what I could from them  they are actually cutting it right now.  But I dont even want to mess with spliting them if they are not worth a darn.  Thanks again

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 02:42:20 am »
Junipers have these sort of dark blue black berries that smell of "essence of evergreen".  The wood is AWESOME for carving.  There is a Christian carver that does allot of work with it.  My favorite thing about Juniper is the berries.  Crush them with Rosemerry and Sage plus salt, pepper and chopped garlic for a killer Turkey rub.  The berries go well with game meats also.  If you live in a place where they grow.  Pick some free berries and dry them.  I pay for them.