Author Topic: red oak stave suggestions??  (Read 2722 times)

Offline bucksbuoy

red oak stave suggestions??
« on: July 28, 2011, 08:57:00 pm »
Hello everyone,
 I got my hands on a really nice red oak stave, seasoned for a year and ready to go at 65" or so, and about 2" wide. Any design suggestions?
Its only wood

Offline BowJunkie

Re: red oak stave suggestions??
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:49:31 pm »
What is the desired draw length and weight?
Johnny
in Texas

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 10:53:03 pm »
I would like to get a 28" draw length out of it and about 50 pounds would be nice too. I guess  my question is really whether I could go with a handle or would a bend through the handle design be better? I just have never worked with red oak before, let alone a stave of it. I have heard a lot of people say to stay away from bending the limbs with red oak and was wondering if anyone had anymore advice along those lines.
Thanks
Jason
Its only wood

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 11:43:23 pm »
Well if you didn't let the limbs bend then it wouldn't be a bow!  ;D

Red oak is just as good a bow wood as any other. I've only worked with it in boards but I bet your stave is better.

If you keep it the full length with an 8" handle, 2" to or a little past mid limb tapering to 3/8" nocks, you should be able to make that draw weight and draw length with no problem.

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 12:36:45 am »
The first bow I ever made was a red oak board bow.
The second was a red oak stave I had harvested myself.
I used the same dimensions on both bows. They ended up 68'' long, 66'' NTN,  50-55 lbs at 28''
They are both 1.5'' till mid limb and then taper out to 3/8'' on one tip and 9/16'' on the other
The Board bow finally broke about 4 inches from the tip. I think I made it slightly to thin
But it took three years to brake.
The stave Bow I still have and shoot. The plans I used were from the American flat bow.
Keep in mind I did back both bows with linen and a nice amount of titebond III
http://www.vintageprojects.com/archery/Flatbow-plans.pdf.
Hope this helps
Johnny
in Texas