Author Topic: bandsaw blade point question  (Read 1536 times)

Offline osage outlaw

bandsaw blade point question
« on: July 27, 2011, 09:34:48 pm »
How big of a bandsaw blade will make a good trade point?  The Maint. guy at work gave me the old blade from the horizontal metal cutting bandsaw.  I didn't measure it, but I would say it is at least an inch wide and fairly thick.  Also, what is the best way to cut out the points?  I don't really have any metal working tools.  Would a dremel be to small to cut them out?  Thanks.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: bandsaw blade point question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 08:22:05 am »
I use a dremel on some of mine,it works fine. Be sure and hold the blade straight or it will wear out very very quick if you get it in a bind.The ones I use are 50/1000 thick I would say 1 inch wide by 2 long would make a pretty good Size Hunting head. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 12:03:45 pm »
With limited metal working tools and experience I've had my best luck using a cold chilel and small sledge hammer to score the metal than break the blades apart. After that I use a course file then fine file to shape and sharpen the blades.  I've used this method for knives also.
  When I tried a Dremel tool and fiber wheel it took 4 wheels to cut out one trade point. At that rate I am better off buying store bought points.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 02:59:54 pm »
I must not be able to keep my dremel straight, I brake blades like crazy.  I use a cold chiesel and a small slegde or 24 oz. ball peen hammer.  If you don't have a cutting surface like an anvil, small pcs. of train rail, or even the rail plate that is spiked down between tie and rail work good and they have holes in them if you want to nail them down to a stump or the like.  I use a file and or a bench grinder to shape.  Cut em alittle big.  I like using band saw blades, you can get a lot of points out of them.  sometimes I even cut them at an angle and leave the teeth on as one edge of the blade, got that idea from my 7 yr, old  :).  I've not shot one yet, but they look grusome.  I haven't hunted large game w/ these either, I mostly make small game points.  Check you local hunting laws and if all's good, I'd believe if sharp, they'd take about anything down if hit in the vitals.  Good luck and better yet, have fun. 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)