Author Topic: Many Thanks  (Read 1422 times)

Offline iowabow

Many Thanks
« on: July 19, 2011, 12:19:14 pm »
I traveled 8 hours from Iowa not knowing what to expect from this event.  I wanted to learn a little about knappin and meet a few people in person that I have meet on this forum.  I did just that and so much more.  After I shot the hunters challenge. I spent the rest of the day in the pit making points and and then learning how to finish and pressure flake better.   Shannon and Jeff tried to explain Friday night at about 1am how to work the stone and I stayed up till 2am practicing a new technique.  Man did it rain that night.  Then I went back Sat shot the IBO and continued knapping all day and bifaced out a lot of pieces with Shannon and then finished the KY blue point that Shannon and Jeff were instructing me on Friday  night.  I think I finally got the idea that afternoon.  So  thanks Shannon for your help, man it really meant a lot to me! You are very talented and I appreciate you sharing your skills with me.

At this point my hand were so cut up I had to stop knappin.  I counted 40 cuts just on the left hand. So I switch to working on my bow and I had so much help that came from everywhere.  Al and his friend (I can't remember his name but he made a dvd on bow building sold at three rivers archery )  came over and started helping learn to chase rings with the draw knife.  Then  Gene popped in am gave me more instruction.   Gene left then Shannon and Jeff jumped in and helped me lay out the bow and Shannon showed me how to cut the bow on the bandsaw so that I would not destroy the stave.  There was another guy that showed me a really cool bow that had holes and knots that jumped in and helped me clean up the back.  I just can't remember his name. We also knapped together and he is a great guy that helped a young girl learn to flint knap. Anyway Jeff and I worked on filing the belly till 12:30 that night.  Thanks for the help guys, my head hurt from how much I was learning in such a short period of time.  Not to forget Pappy for being a great host to me and making sure I was having a great time during my visit.  I meet so many good people that this was one of the best trips and experiences ever.   
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

Re: Many Thanks
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 12:42:36 pm »
I forgot to say thanks to all the orange shirts (twin oaks archery club) that put on this event.  You could tell that there were many volunteer hours that must have gone into putting on an event of that scale and it was very well done.  This was the first event ever for me and it was so organized that even I could understand the layout.  They were always helpful and put out an extra effort out to make sure everyone was taken care of.  I just wanted thank you all for putting on a great show!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 05:37:13 pm »
wish i could have come....
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 10:43:18 pm »
wish i could of made it down and sat with ya.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 10:50:46 pm »
 You can deffinately get a case of Overload the first time you go to an event at Twin Oaks. Now you need to go to the next Classic and meet a couple of hundred more people that are on this site ;D. And I'm really amazed to hear that it rained a little at Twin Oaks. ???
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:40:16 pm »
I sure wish I could have made it.....maybe next year.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II