Author Topic: new to making own points dont no were to start  (Read 2671 times)

Offline archerforlife2

new to making own points dont no were to start
« on: June 27, 2011, 04:28:59 am »
hey everybody i have been into archery for a while just got into primitive archery and it "feels" better than compound with all the dew hickeys i live in western Washington and were do i start to find rock suitable for points? thanks
Everbody dies but not everybody lives

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: new to making own points dont no were to start
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 06:53:38 am »
You should have obsidian over tour way ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 07:25:00 am »
obsidian and agate up in that corner like jeff said. look for rock shops in your area and ask around. best bet is the local usgs. speak to a state geologist. you can also ask an archeologist but i wouldnt. sometimes it can open a nasty can of worms. we have quite a few members on here that are from the northwest corner who may chime in. if not look up keenan in the members list. he may be able to answerr some questions for ya. peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 09:36:58 am »
River & creekbeds are also a good place to start.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:06:21 am »
I took the training wheels off and went traditional last year and I think I will never look back.  If your new to knapping be sure watch paleomanjim on youtube. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Newbow

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 02:28:43 pm »
The closest source of reasonable (learning) quantities of knappable material is the Glass Buttes area in central Oregon.  Checking your profile, that might not be easy for you to access so, given that our local agates and jaspers aren't readily available in quantity and size, glass is probable your best bet and garbage your best source.  Tempered glass and 1/8 inch window panes are out, but anything else that is thicker than that will work pretty well.  Broken mirrors, plate glass, bottle bottoms and old TV screen glass are good; anything thicker than, 3/16".  TV tube glass comes with a few problems because it does contain some toxic materials so clean everything off that will come off before try to knapp it.  The glass in TV tubes is leaded, but that isn't something to be concerned about other than adequate ventilation which you should always have anyway.  Watch BOHUNTER's YouTube video on a safe way to break the tubes if you don't happen to find ones already broken: http://www.youtube.com/user/BOHUNTER#p/u/13/NFm_94WSiGw.  There is also thunder chert or Johnstone (old toilet bowl tanks) and porcelain of any kind that you could try but I would stick to glass at first because the quality of the various sources of porcelain, toilet tanks especially, is highly variable and you'll get really frustrated trying to learn to knapp on material that is just junk.  Ideally, find a local knapper who will be able to get you started and will almost certainly have suitable materials to learn on.  Where in Washington are you located? 

Offline aaron

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 02:59:37 pm »
archer- there are a few of us on this board in WA. I am in ILwaco- it's on the coast in SW WA. I would be happy to show you flintknapping if you can come down here some day. I saw the other thread about bow woods... i'll put in another vote for vine maple!
where do you live?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 04:44:44 pm »
elma to be specific and we have a bunch of old computer screens i could take the glass out of  hmmm....... and i will talk to the people at our locale rock pit and see if they have any spific areas to look in thanks for all the help will get those computer screens out soon thanks

Offline Newbow

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 09:23:59 pm »
I live in south Elma.  If you send me a PM with your phone number I can touch base with you and see what you need and what I can do, but I'm leaving for South SDakota for ten days around noon tomorrow, 28th.  I'm headed into Olympia in a few minutes but I can give you a shout this evening if you send me your contact number.

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 09:53:41 pm »
i live in south Elma also and i'm busy tonight so maybe when you get back?

Offline Newbow

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 02:04:59 am »
Can do.  I'll check this thread when I get back and if you haven't connected with anyone yet I'll PM you.

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 02:08:15 am »
okay sweeet thanks i made my first point today its metal but i made it all by myself  ;D

Offline Newbow

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 04:14:28 pm »
PM sent.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 11:50:22 pm »
Look up Craig Ratzat in Oregon. He does camps and classes from quarrying to finished artifacts.