Author Topic: New knapper  (Read 1722 times)

Offline DiGi

New knapper
« on: July 06, 2011, 03:01:20 pm »
What are recommend tools and books for a first time knapper. All I want to really make is arrowheads. And tips or tricks? Thanks!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: New knapper
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 04:13:10 pm »
There's lots of books, vid's, youtubes, etc out there. One good book to start off with would be "The art of flintknapping" By: DC Waldorf.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 09:13:29 pm »
try flintknappingtools.com
john 3:16

Offline warhawk

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:34:22 am »
Try the free ebook on flintknapping. try at paleoplanet.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 03:01:15 pm »
If you're a visual learner rather than one who learns from reading (like me) there are lots of good videos on youtube too.

D.C. Waldorf's The Art of Flintknapping also has a video companion to go with the book.  I learned more in an hour of watching someone else knap than I did from days of reading...then again, I'm slower than most & there's plenty here who can attest to that.

Good luck on your knapping journey.  This is a great place to get help if you need it.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline nocams

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 02:54:31 pm »
Get you a 1 3/8" shorty bopper, 20" ishi stick, and hand pads from flintknappingtools.com Great guy to deal with and tools are second to none. Find you some old grinding wheels off a bench grinder and break them into usable size peices for your abrader.  After you learn your bopping technique and get some good thin bifaces put them away and come back to them when you are more experienced. Then start learning how to pressure flake with your ishi stick. Once you get your ishi stick technique down go back to those bifaces and get them thinner and finish them. Will save you a ton of rock !  Remember to abrade, abrade, abrade those platforms before ya hit em ! I jsut started last year and got LOTS to learn but have been helped a lot by the fine gents on here !