Author Topic: Elk hunting arrows  (Read 3435 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Elk hunting arrows
« on: July 07, 2011, 04:16:00 pm »
These are a few arrows I've made in the last week. Two of them are black walnut shafts that Ken75 sent to me. (Thanks again Ken) I've never worked with BW for arrows and I can say they make very nice, heavy arrows. When I got the shafts from Ken they still had one end left square. I shortened that section a bit on one shaft, rounded it off and made a blunt fluflu for shooting at grouse. Note I said "shooting at"!  :D
  The other two are sourwood. All points are hafted with pitch glue, wrapped with sinew and sealed with super glue. The fletching are all tied on with sinew fore and aft only. all of these arrows have self nocke supported with a sinew wrap. One or the sourwood arrows has 3 smaller goose feathers tied on in a trangential 3 fletch, the other two are standard 3fletch and of course the orange fluflu.
  Two of the points are Abowyer heads that Charlie Jefferson(stringstretcher) sent me. These are pretty cool heads and take a good edge. The other head is one that Kenneth had made and sent me. It was big and heavy, weighing in at over 275 grs. I reduced the length and reshaped the head and this is going to be my #1 elk arrow just because it is so quiet and shoots so well from my 56#@26" osage static recurve. All the arrows except the fluflu weigh in at 700grs(mol)., heavy for a 56# bow but they all shoot well and are quite.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Elk hunting arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 04:25:38 pm »
Awesome job Pat!  Those points w/ the holes are cool.  Looks like they'll stay on thru all but a broken fore shaft.  Bet that's kinda tedious gettin' them wrapped on, though.  I make a lot of FluFlu w/ that fletching.  The blunt looks nice too w/ that wrapping. Fun stuff!! 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 04:51:17 pm »
Thanks Bowtarist. The wrap on the blunt is sinew also like al other wrappings. Probably didn't need it but it is there anyway!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 05:16:19 pm »
Those look great..the blunt arrow will be perfect for the blue grouse..I started carrying a small slingshot for them. They will let you get close and they are bigger than eastern grouse.

I'm also heading to Colorado in September, but will not be traditional. I wish you the best hunt possible. What a great place to chase game and soak in the grand views of the mountains.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 08:58:19 pm »
great job Pat!!!
john 3:16

Offline Jtilley

• WV country boy missing the hills.............
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 11:57:31 pm »
what is the technique on the flu flu fletching??? Looks like a feather wrapped around the shaft. Is that a correct assumption?? I like it  ;D
Some is Good , More is Better, Too much is Just Right....
John

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 12:19:59 am »
They look like killers to me.  I like.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 12:58:24 am »
Yeah wanab, it's a full length fletch wrapped around the shaft. Works very well for a fluflu. Arrows go out about 25 yard and drop to the ground so I don't have to look all over for them.  ;D
  Long hunter I have a slingshot I may bring too.  ;)

Offline Jtilley

• WV country boy missing the hills.............
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 01:05:17 am »
neat idea  ;) and a good looking bunch of arrows  :D
Some is Good , More is Better, Too much is Just Right....
John

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 03:16:36 am »
Those are sharp looking arrows.. I bet they will find their mark up in the timber  8)
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 11:01:30 am »
some mighty fine arrows there pat.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline andy thomas

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 01:39:58 pm »
thanks for explaining the flu lu fletch i can see it now. :o
great lookin arrows

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 10:23:53 pm »
I don't think penetration will be a problem with such heavy arrows.  Bw sure makes a pretty arrow.  no need for stain .  Never seen a sourwood arrow b4.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 01:46:46 am »
I learned about sourwood arrows from Art Butner, another WV archer/fletcher.  ;)