Author Topic: Finished cane arrows  (Read 4590 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Finished cane arrows
« on: July 05, 2011, 11:51:09 am »
I posted some pics attaching the points and straightening the cane shafts. These are the finished arrows.

The feathers are stripped from the quill, rather than split with a knife and ground. I used a jig to glue them in place and then wrapped both ends with sinew.

One picture shows a piece of brass cut from flat 1/8" stock in the shape of a triangle. It is then heated and bent around a tapered steel punch giving it a tapered cone finish. The brass practice tip is then hot melted onto the end of the river cane shaft. I made three and they have worked great for practice points. You can adjust the weight of the brass to what you want before bending into a cone.

Hope you like them, Lyman
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Finished cane arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 11:54:52 am »
Of course I forgot one... ::)

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 12:08:29 pm »
sweet!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 12:25:59 pm »
Very nice. Good job.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 12:54:11 pm »
Those look good.  What kinda target are you shooting the brass into?  No problem w/ them bending or pulling off when you pull the arrow from the target?  I like the idea, similar to the ones in the Encyclo. of Native Amer. Bows, Arrows and Quivers. 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 10:19:03 pm »
Thanks guys, arrows are truly a labor of love... ;)

bowtarist, I have shot those brass cone points into the ground and trees, but I have also shot them into the block targets and the points have stayed on just fine using the holt melt glue.

Just as a thought, I want to shoot my new stone tipped arrows so I am going to get a large cardboard box and fill it with old clothing, bed sheets, blankets, whatever...just make sure no buttons or zippers are attached. I think it would be excellent to test the stone points in.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 09:42:09 am »
nice job.
john 3:16

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 04:13:53 pm »
nclong,  sounds good on the stone point target.  i just shot one of my bone point, multi-floral rose arrows, bare shaft and it shot like a dream, 15/20 yards wouldn't even need fletched, second shot, just the same, but my point pulled off in the layer foam target.  There are other tips in there too, some day I'll tear it apart and get them all.  Next time I make a tie-on point, it'll be notched some.  Keep flingin' 'em.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline andy thomas

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 01:46:38 pm »
a couple bails of hay is allways a good bet too. could you go into more detail on how you made those target tips. great looking arrows by the way

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 06:08:42 pm »
Hey Andy, you can go to a hobby shop or craft shop and buy a piece of flat brass, 1/8 thick or a little thicker. I think I bought a piece that was 2-3 inches wide and 10 inches long. I marked off a triangle shape on the brass and cut it out with a hack saw. I have a tapered center punch for setting nails. I heated the brass and bent it around the taper to give it the cone shape. The punch needs to be at least big enough to match you arrow shaft. I believe my punch is about 3/8 at the top and tapers down to a 1/8 punch end. I also beveled the sides that bend around and touch, so they would lay flat on the edge. Once you have the cone attached to the shaft you can take a file and flatten the top of the cones edge where it meets the shaft giving it a smooth transition from cone to shaft.
Try to figure how far around the punch, because that determines how wide the triangle base is cut prior to bending.
Hope this helps..

Offline andy thomas

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 12:55:44 am »
thanks will give it a try here and see how it goes