Author Topic: advice please  (Read 2426 times)

Offline archerforlife2

advice please
« on: June 30, 2011, 12:21:33 am »
i have a stave drying for a hopefully 50# @ 9 inch draw length vine maplebow and the stave is about 2 inches around and i was wondering if i should make a bend through the handle or have a handle on it and how do i determine were the handle is suppost to be thanks?
Everbody dies but not everybody lives

Offline Keenan

Re: advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 12:58:17 am »
 Archer, Wellcome,  I assume you are talking about a 29 inch draw instead of 9".      How long ins your stave?   For a 29" draw you should be around 64-66" bow.  You can go a little shorter if you make it bend through the handle

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 02:31:39 am »
The stave is 62" or 5' 2" is what you said if I remember right ??? The way I do the handle placement is make a mark in the very center of the bow so if your stave is 62 find 31" make a mark then measure 1" up toward the top limb this is the top of the grip, then from the 31 center mark measure 3" down this will be the bottom of your grip giving you a 4" grip. If you wanted you could go with a slight bend in the handle but you wont need much to hit your draw length and you could have a non bending handle if you wanted as long as you make sure to get the whole limb working from the fade just off the handle to about 6 inches from the tip. In my experiance vine maple is very strong in tension strength so it will take a heck of a bend from what I have seen. Good luck and post pictures when you get going and we can help you allong ;D

Josh

I know I already gave you this link but the first little bit explains and shows marking out the handle and I would just use this as reference through your whole bow build. Its no problem to ask questions thats why we are here but this will save you lots of them ;D ;) http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4815.0.html Good luck and keep us posted and post pics if you can ;D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:47:01 am by Elktracker »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 02:47:39 am »
yeah i mean 29 woops  :o and yes the stave is 62 inches Long and 2 inches around. and i will post pics of the stave tommorow night or the night after got a new camera  :) so you will actually be able to see what i take pictures of now. so i will have a non bendy handle thanks. and my bad on the typos  :-\
Everbody dies but not everybody lives

Offline aaron

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 01:39:49 pm »
archer4- like keenan, i would reccomend a bendy handle- easier to tiller, and safer.looking fwd to pics!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"