Author Topic: How thick to cut?  (Read 1314 times)

Offline TheWildCat

How thick to cut?
« on: July 01, 2011, 11:13:29 am »
Ok y’all…I gotta question? Is there a standard set of measurements out there that would yield a certain weight bow for a certain combination of measurements?  For instance, building a Boo backed Osage bow, Hill Style 72” in length. Using Approx. 1/8” thick Boo Backing or ¼” thick Boo Backing…How thick would I make the Osage belly at the fade and the tip to yield a 55 # bow? Or a 45 # bow? I know there are a lot of variables, that could make this complicated, but if kept simple, is it possible?  I know no two pieces of wood are the same, even of the same type of wood. But I figure, on average, their characteristics would be similar, and a possible average weight could be expected, with some exceptions. Am I wrong in this assumption? :-\ :-\ :-\
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline crooketarrow

Re: How thick to cut?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 11:26:50 am »
  Your right to a degree there would be and adverge but like you said (lots of combinations) wood is wood and this is'nt putting together lams. So not really your better off setting up a tillering tree with a scale this way you can hit it right on the head. The right weight to the right draw lenth. I'm sure there is some sort of messurements that can get you close but I've always used a scale.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Mark Smeltzer

Re: How thick to cut?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:12:29 pm »
You can rough a bow in using that method but there is no short cut or formula for tillering, we are talking about very small amounts of wood that will make the difference between a 50 and a 60lb bow not to mention the shape of the tiller itself.

Mark