Author Topic: quarry site  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Hardawaypoints

quarry site
« on: July 01, 2011, 01:45:33 am »
I checked a place where I found chips in the past that had been cut over. Look at all the chips on the ground.  I found some decent rhyolite (none outstanding) and one crude ancient axehead.  It was too dark to photograph the rock once I got the dirt washed off it, I'll post some rhyolite pictures tomorrow. Most of the ground has been turned into lawns and is built up all around it.

Jim

Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: quarry site
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 01:40:39 pm »
Looks interesting. Wish i was out there pillfering around with ya..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 01:38:24 am »
I didn't have time to clean rock or take pictures today, but will get it done tomorrow.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 04:50:50 pm by Hardawaypoints »

JustinNC

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 02:05:06 am »
Jim theres just something about that rhyolite than is addictive, even if it is hard. I find myself trying to go through some of mine even though I have "good" rock. My spalling isnt great, I need to run get some more and make good spalls out of it so it's easier to work. Nasty spalls arent as easy to clean up and work with that stuff as it is with most any other material in the US

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 02:07:10 am »
Jim Let somebody know when you are going on a hunt. I would have gone willingly. That is if you wanted company.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline piper

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 04:41:19 pm »
    Jim...If you come to the N.C. knapp-in bring some of it with you so we can look at it.........and watch you make points from it....when we are not deer hunting...Curt
It's hard to ride two horses when you only have one ass

Western North Carolina

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 04:45:00 pm »

Here's a picture of some of what I hauled out of there.  Not top shelf quality, but not awful either. I have a few hundred pounds of rhyolite stashed for whenever.

I'm not as much in love with the stuff as some knappers are.  It is about the hingingest stuff I ever laid a billet to.  One direction will run a flake great and the other direction will stack up.  I suppose it just makes you appreciate a nice point when you make one.

Jim

JustinNC

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 06:38:35 pm »
Looks better than anything I have.

Offline warhawk

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 12:10:50 am »
Being in Fayetteville i only find flakes of rhyolite wheni look for artifacts. I got some Arapaho when we went to the last NC Knapin. I think it is a challenge but you if keep at it you learn to appreciate it.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.